Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I'm trying to set up a new CPU for my daughter, She has a

Customer Question

Hi, Andy
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: I'm trying to set up a new CPU for my daughter
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: She has a monitor with both a VGA and DVI-D connection Not sure, I am not sitting at her house currently...I think the new CPU is a HP and the old system is also a HP
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am trying to connect both the Old computer (running Windows 95) and the new computer (Windows 7) to the same monitor...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome

What is the issue you get when trying to setup the computer?

Please let me know

Thankyou

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Issue 1: I am looking for a switch box of some sort so that both CPU's can utilize the same monitor -- new one utilizes a DVI-D to HDMI connector and the old one uses the VGA connector. Right now, even though both CPU's are connected to the one monitor, I have to turn one computer off & start the 2nd computer...
Issue 2: The old computer (windows XP, I think) is primary on the network. The new computer recognizes the old network but will not "work" on the network. I think it has something to do with a "Home Group" and permissions. I am unable to locate a "Home Group" function on the old computer and would rather the network be set up through the new computer anyways as the old computer could be removed at any time.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
cannot connect...I am at a different location...
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

ok, so you want a switch box that has HDMI and VGA inputs, and outputs to VGA? so you can switch the monitor between the two computers?

For the second question, I need to know exactly what you mean with it not working on the network?