I'm trying to set up a new CPU for my daughter, She has a…

Customer Question
I'm trying to set...

I'm trying to set up a new CPU for my daughter

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

She has a monitor with both a VGA and DVI-D connection Not sure, I am not sitting at her house currently...I think the new CPU is a HP and the old system is also a HP

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I am trying to connect both the Old computer (running Windows 95) and the new computer (Windows 7) to the same monitor...

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Computer
9/11/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 11 months ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Hi there and welcome

What is the issue you get when trying to setup the computer?

Please let me know

Thankyou

Issue 1: I am looking for a switch box of some sort so that both CPU's can utilize the same monitor -- new one utilizes a DVI-D to HDMI connector and the old one uses the VGA connector. Right now, even though both CPU's are connected to the one monitor, I have to turn one computer off & start the 2nd computer...
Issue 2: The old computer (windows XP, I think) is primary on the network. The new computer recognizes the old network but will not "work" on the network. I think it has something to do with a "Home Group" and permissions. I am unable to locate a "Home Group" function on the old computer and would rather the network be set up through the new computer anyways as the old computer could be removed at any time.
cannot connect...I am at a different location...

ok, so you want a switch box that has HDMI and VGA inputs, and outputs to VGA? so you can switch the monitor between the two computers?

For the second question, I need to know exactly what you mean with it not working on the network?