Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

Getting a message saying computer has been locked and to

Customer Question

Getting a message saying computer has been locked and to call 1(###) ###-####JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Lenovo idea center Windows10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Don't think so
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. That is a fake popup message. It is a scam, so please do not call that number, and do not follow any instruction in it.

Is the Internet still working on your computer?

Does this message still pop up when you shut down / restart the computer? Or does it only pop up when you open the Internet? etc.?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Please try the following fix:

1. Close all programs if possible.
  2. Disconnect the power cord(s) from your internet modem / router device(s) for now.
  3. Shut down your computer.
    ; (Note: If it does not let you shut down your computer, then press and hold the Power on / off button on your computer for about 10 seconds, then it should power off.)
  4. Turn your computer back on.
  5. Open the Internet program on your computer.
    - It should display connection error or something similar.
  6. Close all the internet pages / windows / tabs.
  7. Re-connect the power cord(s) to your internet modem / router device(s).
  8. Wait a few minutes.
  9. Open the Internet on your computer, and if prompted to restore, make sure to cancel / close it; do not restore.
  10. Then see if the popup message is gone now.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,

Note: This fake popup message usually occurs when you accidentally click on a bad website or link or bad email attachment. You can try my steps above; it should resolve the issue. Please always ignore any popup message (or email message or phone call) that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

For more information about this kind of scams, please click on the website below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

Have you tried my suggestion above yet? Do you have any further question? Is there still any issue with your computer?

It looks like you are not there. We can schedule another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,