Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

S I was on my computer and all the sudden I got this thing

Customer Question

S I was on my computer and all the sudden I got this thing that said stop you have a there's something wrong with your computer call this number and I got to this this guy apparently he was in India or somewhere and he's telling me that my computer is infected and then he wanted money and I'm not sure that he is really legit
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: We have a Dell computer. I do not had
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No. But I did see that their is an update available
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am running a scan via McAfee and it has not found any issues yet.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you today.

That was a bogus alert/popup shown by a rogue party and is not associated with Microsoft or any other legit service in any way. They try to trick users into installing malware and/or paying for their scam services. So, you may simply close out that popup or restart your browser, and it will not show up again. Your system is just safe.

Also, to prevent these types of popups from showing up in the future, please install a free adblocker for your browser using the following link:

https://adblockplus.org/

If you need more help, please use the Reply box below to continue our conversation.

And, kindly take a moment to rate my service by clicking on one of the five stars at the top of this page > Submit. Thank you,