When i click in the microsoft edge icon, i get a page

Customer Question
When i click in...

When i click in the microsoft edge icon, i get a page stating that the computer is affected by sime virus and asks me to call 1-***-***-****. when i try to close the page, it doesn't and goes on saying something. what should i do? thanks.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?

It is hp desktop vista 23 modeel.

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

No.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I had no problem until today.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Computer
9/7/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Shefin, Computer Support Specialist replied 11 months ago
Shefin, Computer Support Specialist

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I amCustomerand I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Cybercriminals don't just send fraudulent email messages. They might call you on the telephone and claim to be from Microsoft. They might also setup websites with persistent pop-ups displaying fake warning messages and a phone number to call and get the “issue” fixed. They might offer to help solve your computer problems or sell you a software license. Once they have access to your computer, they can do the following:

• Trick you into installing malicious software that could capture sensitive data, such as online banking user names and passwords. They might also then charge you to remove this software.

• Convince you to visit legitimate websites (like www.ammyy.com) to download software that will allow them to take control of your computer remotely and adjust settings to leave your computer vulnerable.

• Request credit card information so they can bill you for phony services.

• Direct you to fraudulent websites and ask you to enter credit card and other personal or financial information there.

Cybercriminals often use publicly available phone directories, so they might know your name and other personal information when they call you. They might even guess what operating system you're using.

Once they've gained your trust, they might ask for your user name and password ***** ask you to go to a legitimate website (such as www.ammyy.com) to install software that will let them access your computer to fix it. Once you do this, your computer and your personal information are vulnerable.

Do not trust unsolicited calls. Do not provide any personal information.

Read more from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

How to report it:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/reportascam/

If you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

Customer/p>