My son has a HP 15-ac121dx Notebook. His first day of

Customer Question
My son has a...

My son has a HP 15-ac121dx Notebook.

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what is your notebook's exact make and model?

His first day of college and it wont boot up in Windows 10

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

He says it has been idle for months.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I know that he was streaming movies at one time, so I think the 1 TB HDD is corrupt

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Computer
9/6/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Moses C, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 11 months ago
Moses C
Moses C, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer support, thank you for utilizing our service.
I will do my best to help you out in fixing the issue you are facing.
What exactly are you having trouble with the HP notebook

The PC will not boot up in Windows 10
We do not have a recovery disk
We tried all the F2, F9... no way out of this
We are looking for the hidden recovery files, to restaore the PC.
Or, a boot recovery disk.
I have already agreed to $63 CAD through Paypal
Why are you asking for more?

Do you want to go with factory restore?

Factory restore will erase all data stored on the computer

Do you have a backup of your data files on an external drive.

Factory restore sounds good.
We do not care about the files on the computer.

sure i will give you the step which you can follow and reset the pc to factory defaults.

OK

Power off the computer and wait for some time may be 2 mins.

power it on and keep hitting the F11 key couple of times you will get a recovery menu on the the screen with couple of options.

Select troubleshoot and then select the recovery manager on the screen

After pressing recovery manager you will get a couple of other options select System recovery.

Follow the screen as per your choice and it will bring the computer back to factory defaults after it completes the recovery process.

This process might take 20 to 30 minutes to complete.

Thank you Moses, my son will try this between two courses.
Can we get back to you later today to let you know how things went?

If you need any more information let me know. If you are unable to follow the given steps use the reply button to continue further.

if you are sanctified with the information i have provided then please rate me for my service from the 5 stars located at the top of this chat screen.

OK, will do, communication with you was excellent and we should see results today, I hope.
By the way, if this works and it is normally free for one week, can I cancel the $63 CAD that I agreed to pay through PayPal.
I normaly would not have paid that sum, but I was under the impression that I had to, just to communicate with you.
There is I little bit of confusion at the start with JustAnswer.com : The $5 fee, the popup request to pay for a month, the time delays between posts... I was under the impression I had to pay now to get service.

Our tech support costs between $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the technicians time your question is expected to take.

OK, my son tried to do a factory reset, it did not work.
I now have the notebook with me and tried also without sucess.
We, do not even get to the recovery menue.
We do get the following message: Stop Code: FAT file system
Then it says: preparing automatic repair.
Then it comes back 2 minutes later with : Stop Code : NTFS file system
Then it alternates between those two messages every time it reboots.
Ran a system extensive test:
failure ID code:
0SJF0M-7R48PS-XD7WMF-60QS03
Can you help, or is this problem too difficult?
By the way, I have paid $63 CAD through PayPal and it looks like I will not get a refund.
So, it would be nice if I was able to solve this problem with you.
Don't give up on my problem.
Tech Support Specialist: Robert M., Consultant replied 11 months ago
Robert M., Consultant

How old is the computer ? is it still under warranty ?

that looks to be a bad hard drive.

it cant even tell what file system is on it. (either fat or ntfs)

you might be able to reformat the drive but there is no solution that does not require a system disk.

You asked us not to give up on you

But you have not responded to me

Do you still wish our help?