Ricky Kresslein
Ricky Kresslein, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  3+ Years in Tech Support
98270431

I'm wanting to connect to external dell monitor, the monitor

I'm wanting to connect to external dell monitor
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Dell? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: the monitor was brought from our shop up to job site. not sure of the model. had a vga to usb adapter its saying there is no dvi-d cable connected. can I use dvi-d to hdmi?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: laptop is new
JA: Anything else you want the computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Could you please tell me the make and model of the laptop?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
don't have it with me now. it's company laptop new for job we are starting. it has 3.0 usb, 2.0 usb, hdmi, connect on the side. one usb is being used for wireless mouse and keyboard

Does the monitor have a DVI-D input only, or does it also have HDMI?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
dvi-d and vga. I've tried to connect with vga to usb adapter. but that doesn't work. says I need dvi-d connection

Thank you. Yes, you can use a DVI to HDMI cable. I recommend this one as Amazon Basics cables are both inexpensive and high quality: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Input-Output-Adapter-Cable/dp/B014I8UQJY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1503527974&sr=1-1&keywords=dvi+to+hdmi

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you

You're welcome. If you have any follow-up questions, don’t hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of this page. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!