ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a computer technician.
56108293

I have an iPad II that will not charge. I have tried another

I have an iPad II that will not charge. I have tried another iPad cord and it doesn't seem to help the situation so I think it is the iPad itself. I cleaned the port with some alcohol on a Q-tip to see if that was the problem and it did not help. Do you have any other suggestions?
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you running?
Customer: I have downloaded the latest IOS 9.3.5
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes. A few days ago but the charging problem has been intermittent for several months but has gotten worse.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just what I mentioned in my first message. It seems to be charging now but it is intermittent.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything else.

Hi, my name is Chris!

If you have already tried another power cord then you can be certain that it's a hardware issue with the iPad. Unfortunately, with that being the case, there's not really going to be much that you can do yourself. It's simply a bad physical component within the iPad.

Considering that, you really only have a couple of options: Fix it or replace it. If you wanted to actually have the unit fixed, then you would need to take it to a local repair shop that provides services for Apple products. Considering the age of the IPad II though, having originally been released in 2011, I only think a repair would be cost effective if you have files on the device that you just can't afford to lose. If that's not the case, I think replacing it would be the best path.

I understand that this is very frustrating! I had an iPad die on me just a few months ago. If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

NOTE: If you have no further questions on this, please just use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS/OK SERVICE to close out our session and ensure that I receive credit for assisting you. I will stand by until the answer has been rated. Thank you.