I mainly use Google Chrome on my Windows 10 desktop, but I

also have Opera. I would...
I mainly use Google Chrome on my Windows 10 desktop, but I also have Opera. I would like to use Opera to search Google from now on because Chrome is constantly bombarding me with ads based on my searches. With Opera, I would not have to sign in and out to avoid this as with Chrome. Is there a way to put the Google icon on my desk top (shortcut) which would open with Opera?
8/23/2017
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. In Opera, please go to the menu Opera > Preferences > General and enter google.com in the "Home page" field.
Please let me know. Thank you.

Hi, and thanks for taking my question. I'm not sure I was clear in my question. I want to put a shortcut to Google on my desktop so that when I click on it, it will open with Opera. At other times, I would want Google to open with Chrome when I access Google through Chrome.

You're welcome. After my step above, then close / re-open Opera, then you will see Google in Opera.

I'm typing about solution about Google shortcut opening with Opera. Please wait a bit. Thanks.

Thanks! I see Google in Opera now.

You're welcome. Great. That's it. But if you'd like to, you can also use another solution below:

STEP 1:

- Press at the same time the two keys Windows logo and i on the computer's keyboard, then the Settings window should open (or click on the windows logo icon at bottom left of computer's screen, then click on the gear / wheel icon)

- Then click on System, then click on Default apps, then click on the item under Browser, then click on Opera (and confirm / switch if prompted).

STEP 2:

- Right-click on an empty space on your Desktop screen, then select option New, then click on option Shortcut....

, then in the box, type www.google.com then click on Next.

, then type Google.com then click on Finish

, then you should see the Google.com icon on your Desktop screen; open it and google should open with Opera.

If you need help with anything else, please let me know any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit. Thank you very much,

Thank you for the instructions. I'm still looking for "default apps".
I think I found it. Working on it...

OK, thanks.

I think I did it right. It is showing briefly the e (Edge) screen, then I see Google. Is there a way I can confirm I am using Opera?
Actually, it's fine with the first method you gave me. It opens Opera for sure with Google search box on top.

OK. Are you okay with using the first method?

Thank you! Just curious though, is there a way to know what browser I am using?

You're welcome. Look at the interface when using a browser.

- If it shows the word Opera at the top left, then you are using Opera.

- If you see the 3 horizontal dot icon at the upper right corner, then you are using Edge.

- If you see the 3 vertical dot icon at the upper right corner, then you are using Chrome.

Thank you.

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-itstuff/

Thanks, again. Are you free to answer another question? I will request you again, if that is what I should do. But this is the question: I am using an app on my desktop that allows personalizing of bookmarks, sort of like tiles, that synchronize continuously so that the settings can be restored at any time. I forgot the name of the app. In any case, when I click on it lately, from the shortcut on my desktop, it is black for a long time before the bookmarks show up, unless I click on it again and open a new tab. Any idea how to fix this? If you have any suggestions, I would be happy to ask as a new question.

You're welcome. Please go to Start -> Settings -> System -> Apps & features and look through the list of apps / programs and see if you recognize the name for that bookmark program, if it's there. Then submit a new question at the JustAnswer.com website. If I know that program, I will troubleshoot; if not, another expert will help you. Thank you.

It's Speed Dial 2.

Is it in the Chrome browser? Or does it open in a separate program?

I think it is in the Chrome browser.

Please submit the issue in a new question at the website below and request me, Viet - Tech. I will help with this. Thank you.