Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I'm trying to find a read only file I had extensively edited

I'm trying to find a read only file I had extensively edited that seems to have disappeared
JA: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?
Customer: I'm honestly not sure
JA: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've looked at previous versions of a saved copy, word had a recovered file, but not of the read-only file, and I've checked the temp files. Seems to be a lot of "templates" from opening word, but not edited email attachments with the ".docx" format
JA: Anything else you want the software expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you

Hi there and welcome

Where exactly did you open the file from before editing it? From windows file manager? An Email?

And if it was read only, how did you edit it?

Please let me know

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Richard,I opened it from an Outlook email. Perhaps it wasn't a read only document, I opened it in word, and began responding to comments, accepting edits, and adding about 10 pages to the manuscript. I saved it (I thought), but my computer restarted at some point, and the recovered version through word does not have my updated manuscript, and I have been unable to find it in my temporary files.

Thanks

The issue is working from it in a email, this you should never do, but first save it to your computer then edit it.

You may or may not be able to recover this document since the changes are saved in your Temporary Internet Files folder. Note that you can't just open your Temporary Internet Files folder directly and find it due to the way Windows handles your Temporary Internet files but if it's still available, here's how you can get it back:
Open another Word document sent to you as an attachment from an email. If you don't have one, send an email with an attachment to yourself. (While you should be able to open the same email attachement since another copy of the file is created in your Temporary Internet Files folder)

Then click on File, Prepare, and then click Properties. The Properties pane will display below the Ribbon.

On the far right of the Properties pane you'll see a file path and the document name. Select only the file path and press Ctrl + C to copy it.
Press the WinKey + E to open the Windows Explorer. (Or use an alternate method to open it)

Paste the copied file path in the Address bar and press Enter.

These steps should put you either in the same location as your revised file or near it. You may need to dig around in other folders to locate it.

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Actually, I just found it. It was saved in another location, I searched through the entire PC search bar, should have done that first. Thank you for your help.

Perfect!

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

and please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you