Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I use a phone number to verify my identity and recently I

I use a phone number to verify my identity and recently I changed my phone provider and it changed my phone number and I need to change that phone number for verification purposes, how do I do that ?
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Lenovo
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: just the usual that have been set up to automatically update
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just to change the phone number for the two step verification to my Microsoft account

Hi there and welcome

Can you still sign into the account?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no I forgot my Microsoft password ***** when I went to 2 step verification my I realized my old phone number there and I just did not know what to do to change the phone number in the verification process

Ok... Unfortunately you are not going to be able to recover this account unless you can remember the password. If the password ***** changed or the account was hacked then you are not going to be able to get back in. It is extremely important that you keep your recovery options up to date since that is your only way back in if you don't have the password. This email service, being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account.

I am sorry to have to tell you this but unless you can remember or get access to the correct password ***** is no way back in. Microsoft states the following "When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address. "

So unfortunately there are no options left since you never updated your recovery information. In the interest of saving yourself some time I would suggest you don't spend more looking for a solution in this situation as you have no options aside from getting the correct password ***** am sorry to say. I just don't want to give you hope because in the last year Microsoft has completely cut off any type of support and leaves account recovery entirely up to the user meaning if you don't keep your recovery info up to date and forget or lose the password ***** cannot get back into the account.

Again, sorry to have to deliver the bad news but hopefully it saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could rate my reply to you by clicking 3 stars are more. I of course understand this is not good news but you are just rating me personally and not Microsoft, their policies, or the situation itself.