I don't know how it happened but I have kiosk on my entry…

I don't know how...

I don't know how it happened but I have kiosk on my entry screen when I restarted my computer. I now can't get into it at all.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make and model of your machine? And how long has the screen been an issue?

GP pavilion dv6 it just about an hour since I restarted

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your Pavilion?

It's windows 7 Home edition

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your HP? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Bought in 2012

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?

No just how to remove it!!! Please!

8/21/2017
Richard, Computer Specialist

Hi there and welcome

It looks like a Kiosk user was added to this computer.

Try to do this please

Click on the Start orb> All Programs> Accessories> right click on Command Prompt> click on Run as administrator. The page which opens should look similar to the one below. Type in control userpasswords2 and press Enter.
Under the Users tab, put a check mark on Users must enter a user name and password ***** use this computer.

If you see the account name "kiosk" listed in there, select the user name and click on remove.
Click on Ok then restart

Let me know how you go

No start orb available. I have already tried tapping shift key on start up too

What exactly are you seeing on your screen now?

I would be happy for you t connect but I can't get into the computer. I am typing this on a different device
I have kiosk button other user and TrueKey which has not ever been activated
bottom right side red key to restart

ok, choose the other user and sign in with that and then you should be able to do my instructions

I can't get into the computer at all
I can't get in on that either I'm afraid
Anything I try it tells me password *****

ok, power off the computer

Then power it on and keep tapping F8 until you get to a menu.

Tell me when you are there.

Ok I'm there
Repair your computer is highlighted-giving me hope!

ok, now choose Safe Mode

Once done, it should start up in a strange looking mode, but then allow you to do the instructions I gave

Click on Ok then restart

Let me know the results please

Unfortunately it just went straight to the front screen with message "user name or password ***** *****"
Also didn't see a screen of how it should look?

ok, restarrt and go back to the menu.

This time choose Advance Boot Options, then choose Last Known Good Configuration.

Let this complete and tell me if you can then enter the computer please.

It's suddenly come up!!!!
I'm in safe mode, shall I do the previous instructions?

yes please

Kiosk not on the list!

What is listed?

Ok seems to be working but how to get rid of that dang kiosk once and for all??

It is one of the accounts on the list, so remove all the accounts except for your own one and it will remove the Kiosk.

Would it not be named kiosk?
Can I try to do that when NOT in safe mode?

It can have any name, try to do it when not in safe mode

I have one called "Guest" but it tells me "The user Px-world-HP\Guest could not be removed"

Ok, before I asked what all accounts are in the list but you missed this, can you tell me what they are please

There is also a user name: HomeGroupUser$ Part of group HomeUsers.... could it be that masquerading?

Am sorry
GUest
HOmeGroupUser$
USer

Ok, delete all accounts there that are not yours, then restart the computer and tell me what happens please.

Sorry to be thick or stupid but do I keep only the User one with admin rights? <(it belongs to HomeUsers; Administrators; Users
It looks like this:
User name. Group
Guest. Guests
HomeGroupUser$ HOmeUsers
User. HomeUsers; Administrators; Users

Yes correct

Still can't remove guest. Could that be some silent invader that uses my computer in the background without my knowledge?!

It is ok then as that is the built in one.

So once done for all other users, restart and tell me if it then starts correctly please

Any idea of how kiosk got loaded on there? I wa s trying to instal a password ***** it seems to have happened after restarting after that. Not aware that I asked for it though!,
Just checking through a couple more f programs I use

By accident is the only way, likelly you choose it when trying to set a password.

But great it is now removed and functioning.

If you want to add a password ***** an account you can follow the instructions here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgnGt_1mHfA

But great it is now all working again

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

and if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Richard, Computer Specialist
You are so welcome. Thank you I think I'd like to give you 6 stars !!!