The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support
62934938

In using Explorer and opening a folder, is there a way to

In using Explorer and opening a folder, is there a way to set the display for the first column to default to 'Size column to fit'?
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Generic pc, built it myself, Windows 10.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Only whatever is automatically installed on Windows Update.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope.

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is***** will do whatever I can to answer your question and will be back in a moment with my reply.

not sure I understand the question completely. You are viewing files in in the right hand pane where it lists the file name, date, type, etc.. ANd you want to change the width of the column?

If you hover the mouse between column headings and double left click it will adjust the width.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

let me know if you have any questions, problems, or concerns

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO RATE SO I AM PAID FOR MY TIME

IT WILL NOT COST ANYTHING ADDITIONAL BEYOND THE VALUE OF YOUR QUESTION

TO RATE, CLICK THE STARS AT THE TOP OF YOUR SCREEN

Do not rate negatively, instead continue the conversation with me so I can address any of your concerns

if you have any questions in the future you can visit my profile

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-1expert-2rulethemall/

and ask a question right in my box,

also you can put "PC Guy only" in your question title if you want to get to me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would like to change the appearance of the pane to a default setting of 'Size column to fit'. Most of the file names I deal with are truncated by the default setting, and I always have to right-click and expand the column. I'd like to automatically have Explorer do that.

after you set the width

goto the view tab, click the options drop down, click change folder and search options, in the window that opens view tab, and click apply to folders, that will change the defualt

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you!