Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Technical Support Coach at Liberty Tax Service
93584285

When I turn on my lap top, I just get the "sleep" picture a

When I turn on my lap top, I just get the "sleep" picture a nature scene. The sign in box doesn't come up when I left click. I made some changes in settings and did something stupid. I just don't know how to undo it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It also seems to knock out my wi fi when it tries to launch.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

What day did you do this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think it's Windows 10. This happened Thursday night.

Try this for me;

Shut down the windows 10 computer, start it.. When it gets to the windows sign in screen, dont sign in.

Instead, left click the power button at the bottom right.

Then, hold down the shift key on your keyboard, and then click restart.

This should bring you to the blue screen menu.. Choose troubleshooting, advanced, and then choose system restore.

Once system restore loads, choose a restore point that was one day before this problem started and then carry out the system restore. If there isnt one, look on the bottom left, there should be a more restore points link. Look

for that.

That should fix the issue, but if you get stuck or this doesnt work then please send a detailed reply and I will assist you further as needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't get a blue menu screen, I just get the sign in screen w/o the sign in box.

we need to do this special trick to force a repair screen.

Start the computer, then immediately press and hold power to shut it down.

repeat that 4 times, and then the last time when you start the computer do not press and hold power.

It should go to a blue screen menu.

If that doesnt work;

FROM SETTINGS
Press Windows logo key Windows logo key + I on your keyboard to open Settings. If that doesn't work, select the Start button in the lower-left corner of your screen, then select Settings .
Select Update & security > Recovery .
Under Advanced startup, select Restart now.
After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

FROM BOOT UP
Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power Power icon
> Restart.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can't get to settings

Follow the one from BOOT UP;

That clip is for both methods for users. I should have clarified. My apologies.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Finally got system restore. Stand by

Perfect! Whatever you do, it may look like its just sitting there. Do NOT touch it

in the middle of that restore or you could damage your entire OS.

Let it run. it will tell you if it fails or if it is successful either way. I will wait here for your reply.

If that doesnt work, we will just create or purchase a disk and get into the computer that way.

Please rate this solution with the 5 star rating to close out as it is the only way i am listed as successful and credited by the companies ledger

of solutions finished. If you need further assistance, just leave a reply and we will continue as opposed to closing out the question and email

updates between us.

Thank you,

~Franklin

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok it says "successful restart"
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All good. Thanks Isaac.
I'll give 5*

Perfect. Log in normally and see if it goes to desktop.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has

Thank you, ***** ***** with the five stars for me and if you need anything, let me know.

Franklin.