SoundWave1981
SoundWave1981, Sr. Systems Administrator Professional
Experience:  BS - Computer Information Systems & Masters of Project Management
67738541

My mom says there is no firewall on her notebook computer,

My mom says there is no firewall on her notebook computer, and she wants me to download one for her that is free. She has Windows 8. I don't have a computer, just an iPad. How can I download a firewall for her?

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your question.

On your iPad do you currently have an account setup that would allow you to purchase Free apps from the App store?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your answer. You will need to download a program from the App Store and have your mother download the same program from the internet onto her computer. The application is called Team Viewer. That application will allow you to setup a free account on both systems and after she provides you with the connection ID and Pin showing on her computer you would be able to connect to her system to download the software and do the installation. If she does not require you to assist her with the installation she could always download the software herself and do the install of the firewall. Windows does come with a base firewall as part of the operating system. However most people prefer to install a third party firewall and/or anti-virus application for better protection. My personal preference is Comodo's free firewall which can be downloaded at this link: https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/firewall.php

I hope that answer answers your question and gets things setup for you and your mother. Is there any other way I may be of assistance to you this evening?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She says that people might log into her bank account, because she doesn't have firewall. Thanks, I'll try that.

I would recommend that she have a good firewall and anti-virus application installed on the system to prevent infection from malware. If you are looking for a good free anti-virus application from an industry leading AV company try Sophos Home Anti-Virus which is also free. That can be found here: https://home.sophos.com/

If my answers have been helpful please take the time to rate my answers and I hope you have a wonderful day.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you.