Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I just got a call from someone trying to tell me my computer

I just got a call from someone trying to tell me my computer had a virus ad wanted me to install and run gotoassist. Is that a legit thing?
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: Ive had it for a year,
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes, last weekend
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The gentleman said he was acting for Microsoft.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you today.

If you received any call from a service claiming to be Microsoft, please disregard them - they are a bogus third-party service and not affiliated with Microsoft in any way. They show fake alerts and/or cold call users and try to trick them into allowing them remote access to their systems and paying for their scam services. Your system is completely fine.

As long as you did not provide this party with your financial info or allow them remote access, you are safe - just ignore their calls as they come.

If you need more help, please use the Reply box below to continue our conversation.

And, kindly take a moment to rate my service by clicking on one of the five stars at the top of this page > Submit. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He asked me to run a program, which I did, but then pointed to several items saying I had a foreign virus. Did that program open up any secure files?

PS: Please ignore any remote assistance offer (simply "X" it out) shown on this page; it's sent by our site and not by me. We do not need to do a remote session, and I'll reply back to you below now.

Please ignore any remote assistance offer (simply "X" it out) shown on this page; it's sent by our site and not by me. We do not need to do a remote session, and I'll reply back to you below now.

I see, were they controlling your cursor remotely at any point? If so, did you pay for their services after they connected remotely?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did not pay, I shut down my system then restarted it to contact you.

OK, if you did a restart, they are no longer connected to your screen now - just delete any gotoassist icons/files from your desktop and your Downloads file to be safe. They shouldn't have had enough time to do anything malicious on your system anyway, so I wouldn't worry any further.

(Just wanted to clarify again that I did not accept the remote assistance you requested earlier, and so you will NOT be charged for the same either.)

Do let me know if there's any other questions or concerns and I'll be happy to assist further via this page itself. Also, you may want to check out our official support article on this scam:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you able to do a remote troubleshoot?

OK; if you want me to set up a remote session, I'll do it for no extra charge. Please stand by,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you.

OK, let's get started with the remote session now. Please open up the following link:

www.fastsupport.com/425283322
Follow the on-screen prompts to open/run the remote file, and click Yes when prompted to allow the remote connection. We will then be connected.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's the same program the other gentleman wanted me to open, Is this correct?

Yes, gotoassist is simply an independent screen-sharing service used by most providers and has no ties with any parties, scam or legit. For further info, check here:

www.gotoassist.com