Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Technician
62741268

I have a sony vaio laptop and the Wi-Fi suddenly stopped

I have a sony vaio laptop and the Wi-Fi suddenly stopped working. It will not stay on. This is NOT related to a windows update. I have a new ISP and since the new modem was installed, the Wi-Fi on my sony stopped working. All other devices are working on this particular modem. I have tried everything and nothing works.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It was originally a Windows 7 but I upgraded to Windows 10 when it was released.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I am trying to find the exact model. SVS151A11L
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The issue occurred when my ISP put a hold on my service until I registered on their website, which they did not tell me I had to do. That is when the issue occurred. Everything was working fine until then.
Hi ,
My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.
I will be glad to assist you with this.
Follow these steps please:Click the Start menu icon buttonThen open Settings (the gear icon)On the Settings page click Network & InternetFrom the menu on the left side of the page select StatusAt the bottom of the page clickNetwork ResetReset Now
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This does not help. I Network & Internet is grayed out and I cannot select it.

Try this next please.

Right click on your Windows start menu icon,

then select device manager,

then click on the arrow to the left of network adapter to populate the list,

then right click on the wireless network adapter name,

then choose uninstall,

choose okay,

then reboot the computer.

The adapter will automatically reinstall with fresh settings. Then check for wifi.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
American Express placed a fraud alert on the transaction. I have cleared it. Please reattempt the charge

Okay, thank you.

Were you able to follow those last steps that I posted?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi. Yes. I am rebooting h now. My laptop is just slow. Should be up in a minute.

okay, let me know how it goes please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That did not work.

okay, does the name of your home wifi network appear in the list of available networks in the sony wifi settings screen?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. No networks appear at all.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am connected through the Ethernet cable at this time.

okay, thank you. Click on the blue link below and allow the remote session to download then click on the elsinore remote session download and allow the program to run please>http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=65a86dae-de28-4668-9bdf-fe8f2e632f47

Our connection was dropped. Did the reboot work after the new driver installed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No it didn't work

okay, there must be a configuration issue or the hardware has failed. The best option will be to use a usb wifi adapter which usually works better that the original hardware. i will post a link for you to view the adapter.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. But is it possible that my ISP did something when they sent a signal through the modem tofreeze the service? It worked fine on this modem until they did this.

Please let me know if you need any other assistance.
Also, please take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top and click on submit.
Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. I will do that. Have a good night.

your welcome!