My computer is frozen on the Lenovo screen... we have tried

My computer is frozen on...
My computer is frozen on the Lenovo screen . . . we have tried to hit control/alt/delete, took the battery out, press F2 & F12, but cannot get any response
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Lenovo? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Can we talk on the phone? I am not tech savvy & I am at work, so I am not sure abt the answers to your questions
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I think we are running Windows 10 . . . updated in the past 3 mos, I believe
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was searching for a folder on Tues, and it was taking too long, so I tried to get out of it & open email . . . obviously, I pushed too many buttons & it locked up/froze. Haven't been able to get it to respond since
8/17/2017
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today!

If I understand correctly, you're stuck on the screen where you were searching for the folder, is that right?

No, stuck on the black & white Lenovo screen . . .

Ah, hmm. I see.

I'm afraid that could indicate a failed hard drive. Try this: Hold the power button down for about 10 seconds. That should shut the computer down completely. Then go ahead and press the power button again to start it back up.

Try that and tell me if it gets past the Lenovo screen.

I have done that multiple times since Tues, but just did it again . . . same black Lenovo screen.
we've taken the battery out several times . . . same thing

So the computer just boots up, hits that screen, and then doesn't go past it?

You mentioned that you pressed F2 and F12. When you pressed those keys nothing happened at all?

Nothing at all . . .

Okay, last question.

When the computer first froze up, you were just searching for a folder and then suddenly the computer froze in the middle of that operation and immediately after that you started having that problem, is that right?

When I tried to get out of the search & switch to checking my email, it locked up on me . . . I tried hitting control/alt/delete . . . was able to close some programs that were running, but my attempts to get back to email were for naught . . .Tried to reboot it/closed down the computer & since have gotten the black screen of death . . . even after removing the battery & following protocols re: that process

Okay, I see.

Give me just a few minutes to double-check some things for you. Please stand by.

Okay, thanks for your patience.

When did you purchase this computer?

I don't know . . . my husband got it for me.I appreciate your attempts to help . . . at this point, I would just like to request a refund. I have a board meeting that I am late to. Please advise how I request a full refund.

I'll send your request over to customer service for a refund.

Thank you

I've got an answer typed up for you if you would prefer the information. It would help you to get a resolution.

Do I need to stay on, or can someone email me at***@******.***Again, I have a board mtg to attend that started at 7PM

Give me two minutes and we'll be done.

Okay, thanks for your patience.

This is most likely a hardware failure within the BIOS chip on the motherboard. As you may know, there's a chip within your computer that has a program on it (the BIOS) that controls the initial start up functions of the computer before handing control over to Windows. This chip retains some amount of control even after Windows has started up, so if it fails, then the computer will stop operating correctly.

When you first turn your computer on it's the BIOS that initiates that start up. If it's not working correctly, then it can't properly turn control over to Windows and you also won't be able to make any changes (such as via the F2 or F12 keys). And that's what's happening to you right now: You're not even getting to the Windows portion of the start up process. You are getting held back by what's an apparent BIOS malfunction.

The other possibility is that your hard drive failed and the BIOS is getting confused when it goes to look for the hard drive and isn't finding it. I may be looking for the hard drive, failing to find it, and then freezing up. But that is less likely.

Since the troubleshooting you've already tried has not resolved the program, the next step would be to either pursue a warranty claim (if the machine is under a year old) by calling the Lenovo Customer Service line at(###) ###-#### Otherwise, you will need to take the machine to a local shop and have a technician perform a hands on diagnosis.

If you have any other questions on this for me, just let me know. I know you're in a hurry to go though.

NOTE: If you have no further questions on this, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS/OK SERVICE or better to end our session for now. I will stand by until the answer has been rated.

ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
ChrisC
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast