I had a pop up last night on my laptop telling me that I…

I had a pop...

I had a pop up last night on my laptop telling me that I have a virus and to call the 800 number. It looked very official so I, stupidly, called them. After a long explanation about how dangerous this is, he took control of the computer and showed me all the 'porn' downloads I had made, which is simply not true. Anyway he wanted to

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?

It's a Toshiba satellite L305-s5945 and I have updated it to windows 10

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes, just yesterday. About an hour or two before this happened.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?

I refused to pay him and since then, my computer is stuck in safe mode.

8/11/2017
Josh, Support Specialist

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Unfortunately, that was a scam.

Please restart your computer -- Is it still in safe mode?

In the box at the bottom that says "Type here to search" -- type in: msconfig and press enter

On the General tab, make sure Normal Startup is selected

On the boot tab, make sure "Safe mode" box is not checked.

sorry for the delay. I brought the laptop in to the desktop and needed the cord.

No problem; take your time.

Press Apply then OK

Restart the computer

I had only the black screen but when I entered msconfig, the box opened. I'm waiting for the restart.

Let me know how it goes

OK it's coming. Got the icons back.

Awesome!

Please use the star rating at the top to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit

Josh, Support Specialist