I was wondering why a skype contact status shows as "on

Customer Question
Hi Richard, I was wondering...
Hi Richard, I was wondering why a skype contact status shows as "on mobile" in the skype for web (web browser version)? I haven't seen this status listed in skype's online current list of statuses. At the same time the same contact appears to be "away" in the desktop version. Does the "on mobile" status definitely mean the contact is using skype for business?
Side note, the contact is located in Colombia in case statuses are different there..
Thanks for your help clearing this up.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Computer
8/7/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Michelle, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

You are at www.justanswer.com services.
I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

are you are online on skype on both the devices computer and your phone?

i think on both. It's actually a question about a friend contact of mine. Mainly asking if the "on mobile" status displays in regular skype or is it particular only for skype for business? Could be on computer using personal skype set to away and using skype for business on cell ("on mobile")? Does the question make sense? Thanks!

In regular skype you can select options under skype online status then you can select the pre installed like online, offline, away, do not disturb however in skype app you can set status as per your choice only typing is needed. you can remove on mobile and put anything you want.

Michelle, a little confused. You mention the preinstalled status options under regular skype. Then you mention in skype app that you can change from "on mobile" by typing anything you want. A little confused here about what you're calling regular skype and skype app. Are you defining desktop/web browser skype as regular skype and app skype as just cell phone skype? Or do you mean app skype as the skype for business version? Question is whether "on mobile" status is displayed when using either version of skype (personal and business) or does it display just when using skype for business?
Thanks again.

Status note has nothing to do with business version or the regular skype version. Do you have skype opened on a computer right now?

I will go open now. Should I open skype web or desktop? Should I open skype on my S8?

open it on the desktop and let me know what operating system your desktop has

Windows 7. Opened skype desktop version 7.38.0.101 2017
I only saw "on mobile" in the online web browser version.

in skype click on your profile name on left side

then your profile picture will appear on right pane as well

you will see option for mood message

click on it to enter a mood message

Your status lets your contacts know if you're available to have a conversation. A mood message is a short, simple message you can add to your profile.

so both are different

let me know if you have any more questions

Michelle, we're not communicating effectively. I'm only talking about the status indicator, not the mood message. My contact's status is "on mobile" not their mood message. Again, my question, is "on mobile" status indicated just for skype for business users who are on a mobile device? Or is "on mobile" status also indicated for skype personal users who are on a mobile device. For instance when i log into skype from my S8 personal skype my status is indicated just as "online" not "on mobile". Is the "on mobile" status particular to skype business or the type of cell phone being used?

I will open this to other experts for there views and input.

Thank you!
Tech Support Specialist: Josh, Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
Josh, Support Specialist

I apologize that you had to wait for a response.

Do you still need help with your issue?

please, Michelle didn't seem to understand my question/ issue. Do you understand skype "on mobile" status? I don't see it much and it's not listed on skype website as a possible status. Is "on mobile" status particular to skype for business, or an OS, or the type of mobile device being used?

On Mobile usually on shows up when you are signed into the Mobile app and not the desktop application. If you are signed into both locations then it will only say Online -- For example, if I go to the store and leave my desktop Skype signed in then open the Skype app, it won't say on mobile.

Does this sound like how you use Skype desktop and Skype mobile?

Ok.. this is what i tries. using Windows 7 and my S8 phone. I have 2 skype accounts that are in each other's contacts. They are both regular personal skype accounts, not skype for business. So, with one account i login and the other account shows as offline. When I login to the offline account with my S8 the status goes to online, not "on mobile". The same happens if I switch the desktop and mobile device accounts.. Do you have skype that shows "On mobile" status?

On mobile is not an option to select.

On mobile appears when you are not signed into any other device and you open Skype on a mobile device such as iPhone or iPad or tablet, etc.

Interesting, so on mobile status is not a particular status that shows only when using skype for business? On mobile status also is shown for regular personal skype users?

Yes, it is shown for regular Skype users. It shows up as my status if I am only signed on through a mobile app.

In regards ***** ***** for business -- I will have to test it out to see if it is the same.

Thanks Josh, can you tell me what OS, phone you're using where you're seeing your on mobile status displayed? Does it show on your phone or skype desktop or skype web? For me using skype on S8 and checking status on skype for web via another skype account does not indicate on mobile, it just shows "online".

Sure --

I am using Windows 7 and 10 with my iPhone.

On my phone, I am using the Skype app from the app store. If you are using the Skype for Web option then it won't show as mobile. It has to be through the mobile app.

I am checking back up on you about your issue. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

Josh, Support Specialist