Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I just had a message from Microsoft that said there is a

Customer Question

I just had a message from Microsoft that said there is a virus on my computer and to call a certain number or I would be cut of and my computer shut down
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: my computer is a acer and I am running windows 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes they all so said that my inform mation and credit card would be used
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you today.

If you received any call or popup from a service claiming to be Microsoft, please disregard them - they are a rogue third-party service and not affiliated with Microsoft in any way. They show bogus alerts and/or cold call users and try to trick them into allowing them remote access to their systems, and then install their worthless software and other malware while charging the users for doing so.

As long as you did not contact or provide this party with your financial info, you are safe - just close out that popup and/or restart your computer itself.

If you need more help, please use the Reply box below to continue our conversation.

And, kindly take a moment to rate my service by clicking on one of the five stars at the top of this page > Submit. Thank you.