I have a cyberpower desktop with MSI motherboard - windows…

Customer Question
I have a cyberpower...

I have a cyberpower desktop with MSI motherboard - windows 10 - it just stopped rebooting - getting locked up on the startup screen that shows MSI - i have the disks that came with it - trying to get it to reboot from the cd so i can restore to factory settings - any suggestions?

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your MSI?

Computer model is ET1640-1016. And the motherboard is an MSI Z170A PCMATE

Technician's Assistant: When did you purchase your MSI? What troubleshooting have you tried?

About 5 months ago - their help desk is off line right now. All i have tried is to press various function keys down when powering up - cant really try anything else because i cannot get it past that MSI startup screen

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?

No - thx

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Computer
8/6/2017
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 8 months ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

My name is David.

First, unplug power from the computer and leave it unplugged for about 5 minutes, then plug the power cord back in and try booting the computer again. This procedure may clear any memory errors if that is what is causing it not to boot properly.

If that does not resolve the issue, power up the computer and listen/check the fans to make sure that the fans are running. When overheating occurs, the symptoms you describe are often the result.

Please let me know the result.

Thanks,

David.

Tried both- no luck

After plugging it back in does the computer boot process run longer before it locks up?

Pretty much the same time - sometimes i get a blank blue screen.. then it locks there...

I would recommend clearing the CMOS.

To do that please download the picture I have attached to view the procedure.

Power off and unplug your computer.

Locate the JBAT1 jumper on the motherboard (see diagram)

Use a jumper to connect the posts on JBAT1.

Remove the jumper from JBAT1.

Plug power back into your computer and power up.

Please let me know the result.

Thanks,

David.

I don't think i have a jumper to do this....

You can use a jumper from somewhere else on the board since all you need to do is to connect the two posts together on JBAT1 momentarily and then you can put the jumper back on the posts where you grabbed it.

I have used a screwdriver to short the two posts as well to reset the BIOS and it does work however borrowing a jumper from elsewhere on the board is better.

I really just want to get this back to factory settings .... i have the windows 10 disk that came with it and i have an MSI motherboard cd also

Ok good progress.

The computer should now boot if you save the setting (no need to make changes yet) and then boot. So when you reboot this time if it only asks to press F1 then don't press F1, but if it also lists other options please let me know, otherwise don't press F1 and let it timeout on the F1 setup request and continue to boot.

On the bottom of that last screenshot i just sent it also says hit del to run bios setup or f11 to fun boot menu - but neither works - screen is just locked in this place

Ok then perform the reset with the jumpers again. Then when you boot the computer if it says to press F1, do not press F1 and instead wait for the computer to boot from the hard drive.

Now i am getting nothing at all on boot up - the computer is on.. fans are moving.. but nothing on the screen...nothing at all

Ok then next power down the computer and unplug from the wall. Wait three minutes and then power up the computer again and let me know the result.

Also, look closely at the power supply and make sure the fan in the power supply is working. Also look to see if there is a substantial amount of dust in the power supply. The issue you describe sounds a lot like a power supply that is failing.

I will try all of that - but all the fans are on... the led lights are on....and the pc is pretty new - not an ounce of dust anywhere on or in it... will try this later when i get back home - i had to run out - will update you after

Ok then I will check back later.

Thanks,

David.

Tried it again... nothing at all on the screen now still...

Ok, so next unplug everything from the computer except the monitor, then power down and unplug for a few minutes, then plug back in and power up and let me know the result.

Ok - trying that now - but the only thing plugged in besides the monitor is the wired keyboard that came with the pc
Still nothing - the power supply fan is on.... as is two other fans and led chassis lighting - but nothing on the screen

Please check to confirm that the BIOS reset posts on JBAT1 are not jumpered together and that the jumper you used is back in its original place.

It off - and the one i used i pulled one off an old computer - so that can't be it

Ok, so next please confirm that the monitor is securely connected and also confirm power to the monitor by checking the power cord and powering the monitor off and on.

that all checks out

Ok then what I would do at this point is try a different power supply from another computer if there is one available just to rule out the power supply as the problem. Would you happen to have another power supply available that could power the computer?

No - don't have one - and i think my new computer takes more of a specialty type power supply..

Sorry, but at this point I am going to open up this question to other experts that may have additional ideas.

Another expert should be along soon to assist you.

Thanks,

David.

No problem - thx for your help!
Tech Support Specialist: Donna French, Programmer replied 8 months ago
Donna French
Donna French, Programmer

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I have been reviewing your issue. Do you still need help with this issue?

Donna French
Donna French
Donna French, Programmer