Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

This am when I went to check an order on Amazon, it rejected

Customer Question

This am when I went to check an order on Amazon, it rejected my password ***** I never changed. I went through process of text code etc. I was on my desktop and it did it again as before. I did it again and had code sent to AOL. My password ***** AOL was invalidated. I changed my router password ***** did a virus scan, malware, root kit--all good. I checked aol on my desktop and it did it again. I then used my personal hot spot and ipad. I changed and it worked. I assume my router has been attacked???
JA: How long have you had this issue with your A.O.L. account?
Customer: It has never happened before. And it has never happened on Amazon. I tried runnning a virus scan right after this happened and it told me my subscription had expired. It so good through 2/2018. Every avenue is getting blocked
JA: What's the brand/model/Operating System (OS) of your computer?
Customer: Custom built 1st gen i7 with 16 gb of memory. Windows 7
JA: When did you purchase your computer? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Like I was saying-virus scan, router password ***** malware scan. I could change and access things on my iPhone so its my network. I also accessed amazon and aol on my work computer
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Think thats it
Category: Computer
Expert:  P. Kumar replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. We are sorry you are going through all these issues.

Before we start investigating, can you please let me know if you installed any updates or anything recently ?

Thanks,

Kumar

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not that I can remember. I have Windows 7 so I dont do their updates since they Hijack you to 10. Don't remember doing anything out of the ordinary
Expert:  P. Kumar replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for reverting back. Did you try resetting your Router? Also, are you able to access Amazon on any other device connected to the same internet connection ?

Thanks,

Kumar

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Most interesting thing is how it disabled Avira AV by showing subscription expired apparently even though I've had it since Feb--exp date 02/18. I ran Total AV last night, Super antispyware,Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro-nothing. I went into the router and changed my network password, wireless password, SSID. Still disabled my AOL password. My AOL email is old and i really dont use it much. Since this started, I've been using the AOL sign in as my trial run as theres only 9000 unopened emails. Did the router reset, completely disconnected it including the dsl line, powered down pc-removed power cord and network cable. One thing that did happen I thought was strange, I went in the router to disable all remote access and I just got the spinning circle from hell. I'm running RogueKiller right now. Scan said its picked up 26 things so far but you know how that is sometimes--just junk...so I'm just waiting on it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can get into AOL, Amazon etc from my ipad using my personal hotspot--not the router--reset the passwords and as long as I dont try to open it on my desktop, they work fine. I tried AOL on my desktop after changing on my ipad and it blocked that password ***** well. I'm wondering if this isn't some kind of worm. I am obsessive about scanning everything at night-malware and antivirus so of course, who does it attack??-lucky me
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a ZyXel router which is a vulnerable one from what I read----from dsl provider
Expert:  P. Kumar replied 2 months ago.

Okay. Thanks David. You seem to have tried all possible options. Its great to support someone who knows so much about bug fixing. I'll suggest two things thing, please try installing MalwareBytes from the below link and get rid of any Malwares.

Try Windows Restore.

Thanks,

Kumar

Expert:  P. Kumar replied 2 months ago.

Yes, ZyXel uses a Vulnerable Firmware and there had been lots of report. Can you change the router. I would say to go for TPLINK or CISCO.

Thanks,

Kumar

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok--I just downloaded malwarebytes pro this am and it was a bust as well. I'll try windows restore as soon as RogueKiller finished. Router change is my next action. What I dont understand is-is there a component that gets loaded onto your pic from the worm or does it just work primarily through the router--basically-if I change the router-will I still have junk to clear off of my pc?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
RogueKiller just finished picking up 36 items--2 look particularly suspicious. I'm going to delete them and see what happens
Expert:  P. Kumar replied 2 months ago.

Okay. I guess Windows Restore is the only option left followed by a Router Change.

Please use Windows Restore for a Restore Point that you have created, or any one on the list before you had this issue, Click on File from Task Manager > Click on New Task > Command Box will appear, type rstrui. From the restoration Box, click on the appropriate system restore date.

Thanks,

Kumar

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll get back to you after I finish checking to see if RogueKiller got it and if not, Restore
Expert:  P. Kumar replied 2 months ago.

Roger that. Please do let us know.

Thanks,

Kumar

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ah man--I think I'm going to throw up. It's google chrome. Shhhheeeeezz! I can log on properly through I.E. now without issue. Chrome still does the password ***** Think I'll send Google a bill for my time. Anyway, at least for now we are fixed and I didn't have to do a system restore
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Never EVER seen that before. They screwed up not using Java anymore. Wonder if that may be the issue? Knuckleheads!
Expert:  P. Kumar replied 2 months ago.

Thanks David. You really are a Wonderful client. I would suggest two things.

1) Can you please clear all cookies and cache from Google Chrome.

2) Can you then Reset your Chrome Browser. To reset Chrome, please have look at the below mentioned steps.

1. On your computer, open Chrome.
  2. At the top right, click More Settings.
  3. At the bottom, click Advanced.
  4. Under the section "Reset," click Reset.
  5. Confirm by clicking Reset. ​

Thanks,

Kumar