Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

I appear to be having an issue at home and think it might

Customer Question

I appear to be having an issue at home and think it might relate to my power supply. In brief I have been trying to open my home PC and it has been shutting down after a few seconds to minutes. I have taken the pic in and been confirmed that the hard drive is not the issue so I am wondering if my home power supply is enough?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: my. Omputer started to shut down on its own about 2-3 months ago. I recently got it back from my mate earlier this week and tried it out.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on what the issue is I guess, if it's something simple like replace a fuse with a higher capacity fuse, yes. But if it's like a retiring of the home no way.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: There has been no other instances of power loss within athe home except for when the pic is plugged in. I have tried seperate room and different power points. The biggest question would be what fuse should I have on my power supply for a large amount of appliances?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. Can you tell me what type of computer it is please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My problem is not with the computer, I have had 2 technician check it out and it is working fine. It is my house power supply to the computer.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

If this is a laptop computer then it could be the power supply failing. A faulty fuse either works or it doesn't. If your computer is a laptop and has a removable battery, try removing it and use only the power supply to see computer will remain powered on. Let me know what happens please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is not a laptop. It is a i3 core pc, with a Nividia GT 550 Ti and a new motherboard installed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Like I have already indicated that the computer is fine. It's the power at the house that I think is shorting the computer.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Then one way to resolve it would be to use an Uninterruptible Power Supply. That will maintain a constant voltage and depending on the model, will also monitor and log the AC supply to indicate the date and time of any anomalies. Check this LINK if you are unsure what I am referring to.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will Try that out.