Someone called me saying they were from microsoft and I was…

Customer Question
Someone called me saying...

Someone called me saying they were from microsoft and I was supposed to renew my product key or is that a scam

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?

Windows vista, I know is't old but so am I and I don't want to buy another computer because I have heart failure and I don't know how much longer I have to live; I,m 72 and a veteran

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Yes, I use norton anti virus and installed updates

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?

No but I haven't much time

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Computer
8/1/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 11 months ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Hi there and welcome

That was a scam. This person was not working for Microsoft and Microsoft would never call you for no reason.
This is what is known as "phone phishing" it is can be a very serious problem if you do let them access your computer.
Basically what they will do is call a lot of phone numbers and say that you have problems. Any actual computer problems you have will be entirely coincidental. Usually what they will do is show you the windows error log which always shows a lot of errors but these are normal and on all windows computers, they are not viruses.
Next they log onto your computer and lie to you about the numerous problems they pretend to find. Next they will attempt to get you to pay a few hundred dollars to "fix" the issues when in fact they actually do nothing too helpful.

Always remember, no legitimate tech support company would ever call you. Your computer does not report to Microsoft or any other company so if any tech support person calls you can trust it is a scam and just hang up.

Please do me a favor and take a moment to rate my service by clicking the stars above, 3 or more is very appreciated, we can still chat after rating if you need more help.