I have the asus intel core i5. I had 2 keys on the key board

Customer Question
that did not work so...
I have the asus intel core i5. I had 2 keys on the key board that did not work so I changed the key boad and that is when the error message began.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Asus? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: the new key board worked for a couple of day then the error message reboot and select proper boot device......appeared after I had closed down my laptop and powered it on the next day. my laptop is an asus x555la model
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I do not think so. I am not of the computer generation
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not reall I just want to be able to start back using my laptop
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Computer
7/30/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 4 months ago
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to help you today. I may have some follow-up questions to help me better understand your question.

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
Can you let me know when you're ready to look at this and we will make a start.
Thanks
Kris

I am ready
I would like you to remotely connect BUT I am stuck on the screen that says
Reboot and select proper boot device.....any key I press the above line just reappear
Are you there?

What's the exact error wording please?

Exact wording is
Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.
Right after that the cursor is flashing also when I press any key the message just repeats

OK so while changing the keyboard you've either forgot to re-connect or knocked out the HDD / HDD Cable.

What is the HDD/HDD Cable. I only had to connect 2 things that look like scotch tape. One thin and the other one much wider.

It connects your HD to your PC. It's obviously came out when you were doing work.

Do you have a photo of the HDD cable you spoke about

No they are all different, but once you lift the keyboard you should see a cable disconnected.

If not, reseat them all.

The cables you are referring to are they like cable wires or just like the 2 scotch tape like things that I told you about

Not the flat ones generally.

Sorry I'm confused. Are they real wires or like the flat tape things and where do I start looking for these wires. Can you help guide me as to where they should be located. Thanks
Hello are you there?

Real wires.

Can you take a picture of under the keyboard and I can help better?

Note: Can you please rate me at the top so I am credited with my time, 5/5 gives me most credit and would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ok. Give me a moment. How do I send you the picture and yes I will rate you 5 stars

You'll be able to attach it here.

OK so your HDD is directly connected.

Can you see it? It's silver.

Please remove it and re-seat it along with the other cables.

sorry for my ignorance. I do not know what silver thing you are referring to send me a picture circle what you are referring to and what do you mean by re seat it.

The large metal silver object is the hard drive.

You need to take it out and put it in again.

The top large silver square or the metal square box below it. And tell me what do I exactly do.
In screw and remove them just replace in the same spot and put back the screws. If I never touched it before why do I have to remove it.
Please tell me which silver square am I removing and what do I do to it once I remove that square. Thanks for your patience with me
Hello

The item that says HSGT, remove and reinsert.

As you can see from the pictures I sent you. You are telling me that I have to disconnect that scotch tape band that runs over the HGST square thing
Unscrew all the screws on that part remove it and just put it back in the same space put back the scotch tape thing put back the screws and this will fix my problem of rebooting

Yes correct.

There is a chance this will work, probrably not.

This is the only thing you can try is there is a 90% chance this is a hardware issue, I am sorry but I can only tell you what will work.

Ok it did not work. What now

You'll need to open a case. Is it under warranty.

Kris R
Kris R
Kris R, Computer Hardware Engineer