Windows 10 update did something that will not allow pc

Customer Question
browsers to open on desktop...
Windows 10 update did something that will not allow pc browsers to open on desktop, even though it says I am connected
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/28/2017
Tech Support Specialist: Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert replied 6 months ago
Lorenz Vauck
Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert

Dear Client,

I am sorry to hear about that problem. My name is***** am a tech expert with 17 years of experience and will help you as good as I can.

Can you please first let me know if there is any kind of error message when trying to open your browsers?

Please type in the box below, then click on the "Send" button to send me your reply.

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

No error message it just spins or buffers

And never opens?

I'm using another device to troubleshoot

I meant: you click any of your browsers, but they never open up, is that correct?

Kind of, browser opens but unable to navigate about

That is very strange. Thank you. May I remotely connect to your computer, so that I can resolve the problem for you while you can relax and watch me doing it on your screen? If I am not able to help, you can get a refund and it is a very safe option too because we are an A+ accredited business with the Better Business Bureau. Additionally, you will be watching your screen, and we will chat there as well so that you will always know what I will be doing next while fixing the problem.

Not comfortable doing that. Propriety info on computer. Are you able to talk me though this?
Meant 'through' this....

Thank you, ***** ***** totally understand, but am sorry, I am unable to solve this problem text-based given the complexity and the limitation of troubleshooting it without looking at it.

However, another expert might want to try it via text instead. Please let me know if I should opt out of your question and forward you to another expert, or if you´d like me to fix the problem via the proposed remote connection instead.

Thank you very much,

Lorenz Vauck

appreciate your help, but sounds like you should opt out.

I will do that now, but I am pretty sure this will be impossible to be solved via text, sorry. Good luck to you too, if any expert replies, you will see the new reply here.

Thank you very much,

Lorenz

Tech Support Specialist: John Lohr, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 6 months ago
John Lohr
John Lohr, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

Just to make sure I understand: Your web browser opens but now web pages will load?

Hi John, the browser opens however unable to enter info to navigate. Basically it freezes or is hung

What browser is it? Do you have any other browsers?

Unable to access any browser; chrome, explorer, Firefox, safari

And this happened with a Windows 10 update or when you Upgraded from 7 or 8 to 10?

With windows 10 update earlier today

Try the following for me:

1. In the search bar on the bottom of your screen type "CMD"
  2. Open the Command Prompt form the search results
  3. Enter this command: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
  4. Reboot computer

Let me know if this works

Are you asking that I reset the IP address?
Do you think in addressing was corrupted with windows 10 update

It's a possibility

you want me to reset the IP address?

Yes, if that doesn't work then we will try a few other things

Any harm in doing that ?

None at all

It didn't work. Type in MSN in the search bar on Firefox and it spins trying to connect

The computer 100% has an internet connection?

has internet connection

Let's try this:

1. Open the file explorer (Yellow folder icon at the bottom)
  2. In the bar at the top type: C:\Windows\temp
  3. Select "Yes" if prompted
  4. Press Ctrl + A
  5. Press "Delete"

If this doesn't work we can try resetting the DNS

It said I didn't have permission to access this bar, so I canceled. What was it?

It's windows temporary files

That seems extreme. Can you explain why a windows 10 upgrade would stall or hang up the functionality of a pic?
Pic not pic

Updates can some time not go as planned and corrupt files. It's not uncommon for an update to mess stuff up, but what it messes up can be many things.

THat doesn't sound encouraging

I'm going to opt-out and allow someone else to assist you. Have a good day

What do you suggest now?
okay, Thanks

I see that no other expert has replied anymore, although many are online right now. As I´ve mentioned, this issue is too complex and can have too many causes to troubleshoot by text. The only realistic chance is a remote assistance so that we can check everything in-depth and find the cause. This will take up to 2 hours, even for us experts. So how about we do a remote session now to get this sorted and fixed?

Turns out - the fix wasn't complicated at all. Simply restored to just before update, and everything's working fine.

Yes, until the update installs again, which you can´t prevent because they are forced since the first Windows 10 release. Then you are in the exact same situation again (will most likely not even take a week until this happens once more). I did not even think about suggesting this "solution".

Well, there are some suggested strategies I saw online that will supposedly help to address that problem - should it happen, but it sounds like many people who experienced this update issue have not had the problem recur, at least not yet. I guess we'll have to cross that bridge when/if we come to it.

Well, once the update installs again and the issue comes back, you know where to find me :-) Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks again.

Nothing to thank:)

Site's not letting me rate. Will try again later.

Rate for what? We did not really help you said, did we?:)

Still strange that you cannot rate, what did you click (how many stars)?

Andy, Computer Consultant