I was told to callbecause of a computer problem is that

Customer Question
I was told to...

I was told to call(###) ###-####because of a computer problem is that legitimate microsoft number?

Technician's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?

Microsoft Windows 10; computer is Acer

Technician's Assistant: Have you installed any updates recently?

Just tell me whether this is a microsoft number; I am afraid that I am suffering from a scam but the person insists that she is from microsoft.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?

NO; just tell me whether this is part of a scam

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Computer
7/28/2017
Tech Support Specialist: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 1 year ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you with this!

These phone calls are NOT legitimate. This is a scam that is going around right now where you will receive a call saying that your computer has been hacked or you have a virus or something along those lines and that they need to fix it for you. The whole thing just a ploy to get money from you.

Sometimes these companies will claim to be affiliated with Microsoft or HP or some other well known company. This is always a lie. Microsoft has released a statement saying they never contact customers directly about computer issues and that all contact must first be initiated by the customer.

No one is monitoring your computer for problems. That wouldn't even be possible to do without you installing special software on your computer and granting someone permission to do that.

If you receive these calls in the future, simple ignore them. It's a lie, plain and simple.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS/OK SERVICE or better so that I receive credit for assisting you.