Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Suddenly, Microsoft Word won't open on my IMac. I have many

Customer Question

Suddenly, Microsoft Word won't open on my IMac. I have many documents I can't access. If I click on a document in Word, I get this message: application Microsoft Word can't be opened -1712. When I click on the icon on the dashboard, nothing happens.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: OSX version 10.9.5
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: can't think of anything else
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.