Mr.Med
Mr.Med, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Networks & Security Engineer
76221641

I have a pop up screen on my screen (a black & square with a

Customer Question

I have a pop up screen on my screen (a black & white square with a legit looking Microsoft support page in the background) that tells me not to press a key "until you know safe side instructions". it gives a number to call: 1.***-***-****. I called the number, "Tom" answered the phone and wanted info. I asked to speak to his supervisor so I could check this wasn't a scam. He got angry and told me to take my computer to a Microsoft store if I wasn't going to trust anyone. Can I trust this pop-up window? Is this a legitimate number of Microsoft support?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: ToshibaSatellite C75D-B7215, Part No. PSCLEU-00Q003, Serial No. XEO38901U. Windows 8.1 Does that answer your questions?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No. But every so often Toshiba does so on its own.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I had been working on the computer this morning using my touchpad. Little by little the time allotted before the cursor would freeze (fist day of this trouble) and I would have to shut down and repoen to get it to move at all became shorter and shorter. I switched to a mouse, all looked well, then this pop-up window appeared.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'mCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry this has happened to you. This is a popular scam that has been going on. Microsoft does not call customers regarding issues with computers, Please DO NOT call or let them have access to your computer, as they are probably installing spyware and other malicious items. Report them to the Internet Crime Bureau here : http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Let me know if you need further assistance

Thank you

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 2 months ago.

Do you still need help please? if yes please reply back to me and i will gladly continue to help

Thank you