Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Word 2010 cannot be opened following a MS July 15 update to

Customer Question

Word 2010 cannot be opened following a MS July 15 update to my system. While trying to repair Word 2010 using the Control Panel, repair halts by saying I must be connected to the internet. But I am connected to the internet. So, what gives? [Could this have something to do with my firewall? Don't think so. MS had not problem making the update.] Anyway, a control-panel interface to repair comes to a bloody halt.
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: It's an HP Pavilion dv6-2150us Entertainment Notebook (I.e., laptop). It has about 500 GB disk space that is free.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I have done absolutely nothing in years. I am associating this flike with the MS update of July 15 because that took about 4-5 hours for completion. Only last night did I try to open a .docx file and discovered the Word 2010 problem. Prompt say "Word Cannot Be Opened". I am limping along using Word 7 (2003) to open .docx files - meaning the Word 2010 files are not totally lost, just the irenhancements.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's about it. I think I can repair it via the Control Panel interface if I could just get past the "no internet" prompt.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kris R replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I’ll do my best to help you today. I may have some follow-up questions to help me better understand your question.

Expert:  Kris R replied 2 months ago.

Hi
Sorry for the delay, we are busy and I've just got to your question.
Can you let me know when you're ready to look at this and we will make a start.
Thanks
Kris