GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

Using Office 10 on Surface Pro 4 .....when Windows 10

Customer Question

using Office 10 on Surface Pro 4 .....when Windows 10 updates my HP OJ 200 will no longer print ....have been able in past 1 time to reset system to date priore to auto update and printer starts working ..... Going to "devices and Printers" menu to uninstall and reinstall is not working.....The Surface Pro and OJ200 are less than 1 month old and I use them in field sales daily ... please help ASAP !!!!!!
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your HP? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Windows 10 & HP Office Jet 200
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Auto update are causing problem ...Yes
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Computer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** am sorry that you are having this problem. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. When you uninstall your Office Jet 200 and then try to reinstall it, are you using a cd to install or are you using the latest driver for it that is available from the HP website. What is the current status of your machine? Has it been updated with all of the most recent updates WITHOUT being reset to a previous date? I ask because if it isn't, and I fix the printer issue, it will recur when it updates again. We need to be sure that your computer has all available Windows updates and has not been rolled back before I begin working on the printer problem. Please advise.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Printer not working ....installed driver on line not off disc ... tried to Roll back system to 3 days older version but not shure it worked ... I have had problem 2 weeks ago and not sure how i fixed it... printer seems to stop with auto updates over the Net
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tell me how and I will fix on this end ....
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

The first step that you need to take is to make sure that your computer is fully updated. Here's how to do that:

To review your Windows Update settings,go Settings (Windows key + I) > Update & Security > Windows Update. Click Check for updates to see which updates are currently available.

You should see updates waiting to be installed. That’s because Windows regularly checks for updates in the background.

Manually Start and Schedule Updates

When you manually trigger the installation of an update (from Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update), you can either let Windows schedule a restart during a time you usually don’t use your device or select a restart time yourself. You can schedule the reboot up to 6 days in the future. You'll need to click Restart now to be done with it immediately. Please let me know when you've got that part done.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK ...System is up to date.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. Please go to Control Panel and make sure that the printer is uninstalled. Also turn off the printer and disconnect it from your computer. Next go to https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download, then scroll to bottom of the page and click on the DOWNLOAD in the far left column (the free option). Install and run ccleaner. Make sure that you run the part to clean the registry as well as the first part that cleans an removes temp files, etc. Reboot the computer after installing and running it.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

When computer comes back up please click the link below:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-200-mobile-printer-series/5156326

Scroll down to FIRMWARE and download the firmware update for your printer.

Before starting the upgrade:
• The HP OfficeJet 200 Mobile Printer Firmware flashing (upgrade) requires a wired network or a USB connection.
• DO NOT upgrade the printer firmware in a wirelessly connected printer.
• If the computer has a firewall installed or enabled, it may block the Firmware Download Utility from accessing the printer. Therefore, please remember to temporarily disable any firewall that may be on the computer, including firewalls such as Microsoft Windows XP Firewall, Sygate, Zone Alarm or BlackICE
FIRMWARE Install instructions:
1. Switch on the HP OfficeJet 200 Mobile Printer and wait until the printer is READY. [The Power light should be on]
2. Double click OJ200_R1708A.exe to launch the HP Printer Update utility. A list of HP OfficeJet 200 Mobile Printers detected will be displayed on the screen.
Note: If the Wired network printer you wish to upgrade is not displayed in the detected printer list, click on the Refresh button to scan for printers connected via the wired network.
3. Click on the checkboxes on the left to select single or multiple HP OfficeJet 200 Mobile Printers you wish to upgrade.
4. Click on the Update button to start the firmware flashing process.
5. Message showing "The selected printer has been updated successfully" will be shown. Firmware flashing will begin.
CAUTION! Do not interrupt the printer during the upgrade process. Printer maybe damaged if power is interrupted during the firmware upgrade process.
6. When the printer has successfully completed the flashing process, it will automatically print out a Self Test Diagnostic Page, that will show the new firmware version.
7. Click on the Done button to close the HP Printer Update utility.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

When the firmware installation has completed, please reboot the printer and the computer once more. Next, click this link:

Go to DRIVER/PRODUCT INSTALLATION SOFTWARE and select HP OfficeJet 200 Mobile Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers.

Download and install and everything should now be working properly.

Please give this a try and let me know the results. If this resolves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page and then clicking on submit. Hopefully, I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. If you have any other questions or if you need more help, just let me know. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2nG6XLy and ask for GeekGal. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
working on Claener ...please wait
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Don't worry. I will be standing by until you have completed the process and your problem is resolved. Please keep me posted.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Downloading printer driver
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the update. Did you install the firmware update for the printer first?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Made sure Windows software was up to date now trying to install printer driver
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Please read carefully over all instructions that I have provided. Even if you manage to get the printer driver installed, if you skip updating the firmware as I instructed, you may experience problems again in the future. The printer driver is for your computer. The firmware update is for the printer itself.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Downloaded printer driver to Surface pro...trying to make USB connection to printer but SP$ shows no usb connection even with new cable.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cant get communication between computer and printer via USB
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Connecting USB cable causes SP$ to respond with tone from speaker indicating it sees cable bu printer graphic not respond by moving to next page to allow data transfer.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I am researching posssible solutions and will respond as quickly as possible.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Can you check please to see if the printer may already be showing up in your settings under devices? The Microsoft surface devices sometimes automatically recognize printers and automatically install software.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Working
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

It is printing correctly? If so, and if the information that I have provided has been helpful, please kindly rate my service so I will receive credit for my efforts. You can give your rating by selecting one of the five stars located on the top right of the question page. Hopefully, I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. If you have any other questions or if you need more help, just let me know. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2nG6XLy and ask for GeekGal. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OJ 200 Icon shows but when clicked on it doesnot allow me to set as main printer ...that option is not in drop down window
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
will be glade to give good rating after we have fixed and it prints
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry. When you said working, I assumed that all was well. Do you have any other printers installed Is one of the other printers showing as the default printer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Defult printer is shown as
'Adobe PDF" ..."OJ200" Ikon shows but can NOT be selected ...that option in not in text in pull down box when printer is selected by mouse
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

May I connect remotely and work on this while you watch at no additional charge? That would be the fastest and easiest way to resolve any lingering issues. If that is acceptable to you, please click the link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=ac68e479-288b-408d-bc69-d7cba5330b47

On the page that opens up, click "I Agree."

Download the remote file when prompted, and then OPEN/RUN the "Elsinore Screen Connect" file downloaded (at the very bottom of your browser window, usually in the lower left corner.)

I'll then be connected.

Please let me know if you have any questions or issues. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have seen this before and even when I have removed device before and reinstalled It comes back as not being selectable as primary printer.
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

If you'd rather not do that, I'll continue to try to walk you through a solution. please go to the default printer (The ADOBE pdf printer). If you have Let Windows manage my default printer selected, you'll need to deselect it. Once you've done that you should be able to go back to the OJ 200 and set it as the default printer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cannot deselect Adobe PDF
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

The problem is that Windows 10 defaults to " Let Windows manage my default printer". You'll need to deselect that when you want to choose the default printer yourself. When "Let Windows manage my default printer" is selected, Windows automatically chooses the last printer that was used.

To change the settings to manual, use the following steps:

1] Click on the Start button and then click on the gear like symbol which will open the Settings page.

2] Among the tabs on the left, please click ‘Printers and Scanners‘.

3] Turn the option saying ‘Let Windows manage my default printer‘ to OFF.

You should now be able to select your own default printer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Switch in DEFAULT = OFF mode ...switching to ON then back to OFF still does not allow selection of OJ 200 ..... You can have controll if it is FREE and you give me info to fix this if and WHEN it comes back ...tell me what to do...
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

You'll need to click the link below:

I'll then be connected.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

It seems that we have lost our connection and I can't reconnect. Please click on the link below to continue following the instructions to connect to your printer via WIFI direct.

http://bit.ly/2eIrLy3

We have learned several things that should be helpful. Wifi Direct is definitely the way to go for a Surface Pro 4. We do NOT need to install the software and we do not need to use the USB cable. Neither of those approaches have worked so I believe that we should follow the instructions at this link and use ONLY Wi-fi direct. Please note that it won't matter what printer is set as default when you use WIFI Direct. It is essentially a connection directly between your printer and your Surface.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

For your convenience I am also including a link to the online version of the user manual for your HP Office Jet 200 printer. You may want to bookmark both of these pages for future reference. Please let me know if you need further assistance after following these instructions. We may need to go back and update the firmware as I mentioned previously. Please keep me posted with your progress and with any other further questions or issues that you may have. I am committed to working with you until the problem is fully resolved.