Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Last evening whiile I was researching recipes, my computer

Customer Question

Last evening whiile I was researching recipes, my computer was blocked. An orange screen came up and ontop of that was a white screen saying my computer was blocked due to security issues and the name Microsoft and Logo were there. It said not to shut down or I would loose data and gave me a phone number to call which I did. i got a tech with an accent and he talked me through how to let him in control of my computer. He showed me a long list of red alerts and warning signs. He said he could fix the computer for $199.99. i was suspicious so agreed to pay via PayPal. He hooked me u[p with PayPal and I was to give them a code number. When I talked to PayPal they advised that this was a fraud. I was on hold to talk to anothe PayPal person when the tech came back on the phone and wondered how it went. i told him about the fraud and that I wanted him to give me my computer back which he did and it is working fine. However now I am worried that I have all kinds of virusus and not enought security. My member number is ***** Can some one check out mu computer?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Computer Technician will figure it out. Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: It is a Dell and i think its Windows 7
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no but will I have to retype what I just told you?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Yes, that is a scam. See, no one can now what is in your computer but you unless you have been hacked.

What they do is put links/ads/popups on pages, and when you go to the site it is embedded in, that is when

the pop up comes up and warns you, but they dont even know who you are or anything about you.

You call, they remote in and put tons of stuff you dont need on your pc.

I can go thru my pc right now with one program and i bet you will find alerts all over. NORMAL alerts that will

look suspicious.

A few things we need to do.

First, call your paypay and go to the fraud dept and make this claim. Trust me. They have heard it a million times,

they will direct you on how to get your money back.

Then, i need to know the number so we can report these people to Microsoft and get them shut down. I have the forms

and see this all the time.

Then we need to go in and do clean up on your pc. I can remote in if you want that offer, or tell you how from here.

Before we get started, i see this many times each day. I understand the hesitation and concern. For all my other clients,

i have left this as i will leave it for you.

We are accredited and have impeccable ratings with the BBB. Please go to this link and review to put you more at ease.

https://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/professional-services-general/justanswer-in-san-francisco-ca-82403

Please let me know what you would like to do from here?

Franklin

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I gave the wrong geek squad member number it is SPAOOGSTS1021734611
The charge did not go on my PayPal account as I had them on th phone and she did not let the charge go through
Then I am afraid I did not write that phone number down so I can't report it - sorry
Yes I want you to go in and clean-up my pc
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Isaac are you still there?

Yes.

I tried to accept your request for a secure remote connection ( screen sharing ) and it said payment failed. This sometimes happens if your bank or credit card company blocks the transaction and a quick call to them will usually lift the block

For further information you can call our customer service department.

1.***-***-****

This is common. Especially after so much odd activity for clients.

We can proceed written or i can wait?

Also, do you have a contract with geek squad? I dont know if you meant to use them or us?

Please advise?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i thought you were the geek squad
i want to use the geeksquad
i an on hold with bank of america
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how do i get tp geek squad?

I understand. I thought that was what you meant. I can keep this open until you contact them

and ensure you get the help you need and make a sound decision. I'm sure you are frustrated

at this point. I want you to be able to be clear.

1(###) ###-####/p>

Call there first and your bestbuy in your area to ensure what path you would like to take.

Franklin

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you
i am still on hold on the phone to bank of america so i cant call my best buy

That is perfectly fine. We work on your timetable. Im here either way until about 3pm EST today.

Take your time.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i am telling bank of america not to let the 39.00 nor the 42.00 charges go thorough. I thought I only had to pay 5.00 to talk to you.I am afraid I thought you were Geek Squad cause that is what I typed in. I am very sorry because you have been very nice, but I have already paid for my Geek Squad membership and need to use them. The $5.00 did stay on my credit card. Thank you for your time. i am sorry for the confusion

I understand which is why i wanted you to call. Remember in the future, unless you are hacked?

No one knows whats in your pc, but you. Those calls and emails are ALWAYS as scam.

Please ensure you go here to our customer service and make sure you put in for a refund for this site as well.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 3 months ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied.

Do you still need assistance in this matter?

Regards
Jins