ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a computer technician.
56108293

My computer says reboot and select proper boot device or

hi.. my computer says reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press key
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: it is toshiba windows 7
JA: What's the brand/model of your computer?
Customer: it is laptop toshiba?
JA: When did you purchase your computer? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: way back 2011.. tried restarting but same message comes up
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i tried slipping the hard drive back back same message appears

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm afraid that this error usually indicates a failed hard drive.

It sounds like you may already know this, but when you first turn your computer on, a program that resides on a chip on the motherboard called the BIOS searches for a boot device of some kind to hand control of the machine to. In your case, it's looking for a functional hard drive with Windows on it, but it's not finding anything and giving the error "boot device not found."

The first thing you'll want to do is disconnect or remove any USB drives that might be connected, including external hard drives and flash drives. You will also want to remove any discs from the disc drive, if you have one. Then reboot the machine.

If that does not resolve the issue, or you do not have any external drives connected, then I'm afraid it looks like you simply have a bad hard drive. It's also possible that it could be a bad hard drive cable or a bad controller on the motherboard. But what you will need to do is take the machine to a local shop and have someone do a hands-on diagnosis of the computer to track down the problem.

I know this is frustrating and I really wish I had better news for you! I have had to deal with this problem myself in the past. If you have any other questions on this, just let me know.

NOTE: If you have no further questions on this, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS/OK SERVICE or better to end our session for now. I will stand by until the answer has been rated.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is it possible to reboot the computer? if so, how do i reboot the computer?

By reboot you just mean power cycling it, correct?

If so, you can simply hold the power button down for 5 to 10 seconds and it will force the system to shut down. And then you can bring it back up.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
does it mean there is nothing more I can do?

Give me one second.

If you have already disconnected any external USB drives and removed any discs if you have a disc drive, and you're still getting the message, then the next step will be to troubleshoot the hardware.

The question here is whether or not the hard drive is failed or if it is something else that is blocking communication. If you have the technical ability, you could test this by removing the hard drive and trying to connect it to another computer. If you get the same result, the hard drive is simply had and will need to be replaced.

So that's the next step. Unless you have the required expertise and equipment, you will probably have to have a professional technician do a hands-on diagnosis.

I do know that's frustrating. I just had a hard drive go back on me a few weeks ago and it caused a lot of problems for me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi Chris, I have removed the hard drive and put it in another computer and I receive the same message.. obviously the hard drive is not working.. what is the remedy for a bad hard drive?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i just need my files on that hard drive that is why i am desperate to have it back

Indeed. In that case, yeah, I'm afraid the hard drive has failed. That means that something mechanical within the actual drive is no longer able to do what it needs to do in order for the data to be read.

If you have files on there that are important to you, then what you're going to have to do is have a shop that offers data recovery services try to get the files back. It's not going to be something you can do yourself. So what I would do is call around to local repair shops and ask them specifically if they perform data recovery and explain to them what you need from them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok.. thanks for the info.. appreciate it