Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Technician
62741268

An "alert" from Microsoft about an attack on my computer

Customer Question

An "alert" from Microsoft about an attack on my computer popped up and when I contacted the number that was supposed to be Microsoft they wanted to sell me antiviral and spyware programs because the web root program I am using was not working. I think this is a scam. Now my computer is not working correctly.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Dell Computer running Windows 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just need to get this thing off and get my system up and running correctly.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 3 months ago.
Hi ,
My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.
I will be glad to assist you with this.
Yes, that is definitely a scam. Microsoft would never contact you that way. I will be happy to check your computer for you with a secure remote screen connect session. You can also run you Microsoft Defender program.
With Windows 10, you have the latest antivirus protection with Windows Defender. When you start up Windows 10 for the first time, Windows Defender is on and actively helping to protect your PC by scanning for malware (malicious software), viruses, and security threats. Windows Defender uses real-time protection to scan everything you download or run on your PC.Windows Update downloads updates for Windows Defender automatically to help keep your PC safe and protect it from threats.If you have an earlier version of Windows and are using Microsoft Security Essentials, it’s a good idea to move to Windows Defender.Note
If you have install another antivirus app installed, Windows Defender will turn off automatically.
Schedule a scan in Windows DefenderWindows Defender regularly scans your PC to help keep it safe. If you want to set your own scan schedule:Search for and open Schedule tasks.
In the left pane, expand Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows and then scroll down and double-click the Windows Defender folder.
In the top-center pane, double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.
Select the Triggers tab, and then select New.
Set your time and frequency, and then select OK.Turn Windows Defender real-time protection on or offSelect the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security.
Select Windows Defender, then turn Real-time protection on

Please let me know if you need any other assistance.
Also, please take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top and click on submit.
Thank you very much!