Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Director of Computer Engineering
Experience:  24 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Printer and network
21913621

My magic box is not working. I disconnected it completely

Good afternoon Pearl. My magic jack box is not working. I disconnected it completely and it will not raise a tone. I've had it for a few years now and it has performed excellently. We had and electrical outage a few days ago and it has stopped working since. I can still use magic jack from my mobile but not from my phone. I have a suspicion that the USB box that connects the internet to my phone has died. Can you all help?
JA: What's the make and model of your computer? And how long have you been using magicJack?
Customer: My computer is a Toshiba Satelite P875-S7102. I've been using it for about 3 years now. However, the magic jack is not going through the computer. It's connected directly to the internet line from the router.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Nope
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can come up with

It indeed sounds like you are correct based on what you have mentioned here. That you had a power surge and there was a short or some other kind of failure that damaged the box. If that is the case, there is no configuration change or procedure that I can give you that will resolve this. The only thing you can do is replace it. You can verify this by pulling the unit off all connections for about 7 minutes. While it is unplugged, press and hold the power button (If this is the version with a physical hardware button, it may not have one) for about 7 seconds. This will fully discharge every bit of power in the unit. Then plug everything back in and try again. If it will still not register or power up at all, the only thing you can do is get a new one. I am sorry! I wish I had better information for you! Please let me know if you have any further questions on this.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Christopher, thanks for the prompt response. I have done that already to no avail. Is there possibility that magic jack would send me a replacement for free? I'm reaching out, but the question must be asked.
You may not have the answer for this one, but perhaps you could direct me to someone who could.Name and phone number perhaps.