Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

I uploaded an installation package to a site. When I

I uploaded an installation package to a site. When I download it to my computer and try to activate it I get a "smart screen" from Windows Defender which says that the activation was prevented because it is from unidentified source. I would like to share the program with others. I guess they will all receive the same message. What can be done?
JA: What's the make and model of your machine? And how long has the screen been an issue?
Customer: About the machine It is Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 3.3. GHzI use windows 10. I believe the issue started about two weeks ago and it is connected to an update of my windows 10.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No , thanks

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Click the start menu button and scroll through the apps to the W section.

Expand Windows System and open Control Panel.

Open Security and Maintenance

In the Security section, expand it if it isn't already, under Windows SmartScreen click Change Settings

To turn SmartScreen off select Don't do anything(turn off Windows SmartScreen) and click OK.

Not all people will run into this issue but that is how to turn off SmartScreen.

People using an anti-virus program other than Windows Defender may get some type of warning from

their anti-virus program but anti-virus makers take security very seriously today.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I opened Security and Maintenance, expanded security. I did not find anything about Smart window. What I have :
• McAfee Firewall works
• McAfee VirusScan works
• Internet security definition : Not under control (I turned it off on purpose, to solve my problem)
• User Account Control (UAC) works (but I changed the definitions to “No announcements at all”
Yet the problem persists
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do we proceed ? Will you return later ? Will you be able to handle my Windows system (In Hebrew)? I attached my Security and Maintenance Screen

Hi. A Hebrew version of Windows will be a barrier for me. Attached is a screenshot of the

Security and Maintenance page with another location where Smart Screen can be turned off.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The location you sent me is the same location I use. It has exactly the same information , but in Hebrew. However the line "Change Windows Smart Screen Settings " is missing.

The smart screen option should be there. Can you check this:

click the start menu button and open Settings (the gear icon)

Click System and then from the menu on the left click About at the bottom

and tell me the numbers for OS Build and Version.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1. You are right: the smart screen option should be there. But it isn't. I checked on another computer with the same Hebrew installation and it is there.
2 OS Build and Version : 15063.413

Hi. I'm not sure what's going on with that.

Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

On that page, if it offers the "Update Now" option, go ahead and update

your computer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did as advised. I pressed the "Update now" button , it downloaded an Update.exe file. When activated it just said Thanks . I also went to Settings and checked for Update state and it said that it is up to date. I checked my update history. It shows that on June 14 there were a lot of updates. It could be, that one of them causes the problem?

I believe that's it. The latest version of Windows 10 changed the screens I sent earlier.

But here's what to do now:

Click the start menu button and open settings (the gear icon)

In the Find a Setting box type: app & browser control (exactly like it is in bold)

and open it.

Set all 3 items to OFF

I'm sorry I don't have a Hebrew screenshot to send but here's the English version.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Byron, thanks. This one worked.
I am very grateful.
Yet , regarding Windows- I feel frustrated, since some of its updates make significant changes, without asking, without telling. True enough, my wife does that too, but i married her, didn't I?

Hi. I'm glad to hear it worked. Windows 10 took away the user's ability to control updates

as in previous versions of Windows. It's Bill Gates' way of protecting us from ourselves.