ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a computer technician.
56108293

My Toshiba Sattilite laptop says no bootable device please

My Toshiba Sattilite laptop says no bootable device please restart. I have tried in bios but it won't reboot. Using Windows 8.1
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Toshiba? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Satellite C 855-S5350 Windows 8
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No but a scam Microsoft interrupted me the other day and told me to call an 800 number. I disconnected and now can't get in.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I ha e tried multiple times to fix issue thru bios but nothing works

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer.

Please just close out of the Remote Assistance offer that pops up. That is automated from the system and not appropriate to this question.

The error "no bootable device," I'm afraid, usually indicates that the hard drive has died. When your computer first boots up, a program that is on a chip on the motherboard called the BIOS looks for something it can boot to--a hard drive with an operating system on it, a bootable CD, a bootable USB drive, etc--and if it doesn't find anything, it gives you the error that you're receiving right now.

In the case of your husband's system, it's looking for the hard drive in an attempt to hand control over to Windows and it's not finding anything.

As I mentioned, this is usually due to a dead hard drive. But it could also be something like a bad hard drive controller on the motherboard, or a bad cable, or a loose connection. But the problem is hardware related.

The first thing you want to do is make sure that no external USB drives are connected to the machine: No USB hard drives, no flash drives, and no other storage devices. If anything is connected currently, disconnect them and restart the computer.

If that does not resolve the problem, then you'll need to take the computer to a local repair shop and have them formally diagnose the computer for you and give you an estimate for repair.

I really wish I had better news for you. I know this is frustrating. If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

NOTE: If you have no further questions at this time, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS/OK SERVICE or better to end our session for now. I will stand by until the answer has been rated.