Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My computer and landline telephone are connected to the same

Customer Question

Good Afternoon, My computer and landline telephone are connected to the same in-home line. The phone is V TECH. The V Tech Computer Service number is 1-***-***-****. The phone is not-operateble. It is also connected to an answering machine.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Thank You for answering...speedy!
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: computer is HP Windows 7 . There are frequent updates, mostly during the night =early AM hours. I do not understand computerize. A slow, poo learner. ,
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: There has been a problem for some time with the internet connection both here at residence and at the main public library. Used the main library late yesterday afternoon. One staff member needed to help copy a picture on an email. I closed the email, went to the internet news, clicked onto an article I wished to read,the article came up, then while reading the screen wend blank then black, and unable to continue. Became aware the phone was not working until about 10:45 PST this AM.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) If you have multiple handsets (within the same system), does this happen with all of them?
2) Are there other phones or even a fax, outside of this system but on the same line? If so are they working properly?
3) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)?
4) Do you have dsl service on the same line?
5) Full model of the phone(s) (printed on sticker on the main base station, not the handset)