Elgin Vega
Elgin Vega, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Tech Support Analyst at Dell
96816985

My HD on a V6-6c35dx died, The computer was purchased in

Customer Question

My HD on a V6-6c35dx died, The computer was purchased in 2012. I had the HD replaced and plan to buy and install an OS. Rather than install Win 7 should I get Win 8 or 10?
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: I've had it since 2012 but I'm not a computer Guru
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I had installed Win 7 updates but the HD is dead and I don't have the original Win 7 disk or license.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I plan to buy an OS and then Office on ebay. Not worth investing retail on this old laptop. I will buy a new laptop with SW but won't be able to load that software in another machine,
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Elgin Vega replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** will try my best to help you resolve your problem.

I recommend you to install windows 8 in the laptop, the reason is because I look in the HP webpage.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv6-6c00-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/5191856/model/5210864

and found that windows 10 drivers are not supported for that laptop, so you can have problems with some devices if you install windows 10.

Windows 8 is supported so you can install windows 8 with no issues in the computer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks,Will that include drivers for the HD, audio etc?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll have to get the OS and bring my laptop home for that. At that time if I need help getting drivers to work, how do I proceed with justanswer?

yes, you can check the page i just sent you, and select windows 8

if you need support installing drivers we can connect to your computer and install them.

but you need at least to install the network driver so you can use internet for the connection

i cannot have the case open for more than a few days so if you get the installation media soon i can help you with the installation if not the case will be closed and you will need to pay again for the service

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I won't have the computer working (if at all) for several more days, so another case will probably be necessary for any further work

Ok, let me know if you need assistance