Josh, Support Specialist
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

I've been told by micro-soft that my firewall has expired

Customer Question

I've been told by micro-soft that my firewall has expired and that I have to buy the service now . Is this true?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: windows 10 Dell
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes ,but unsure if this has solved the problem.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No other then is this a reasonable request from micro?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Josh replied 4 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Expert:  Josh replied 4 months ago.

No, that is not true at all. The company/person that has told you that is a scammer.

Windows Firewall does not expire and it comes preinstalled on your computer.

If you have any questions, please let me know otherwise if you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
now am I to understand that the firewall that was on my laptop when I bought it is still there, and has no time limit? and a micro soft post on my pc with a corresponding number was a scam?
Expert:  Josh replied 4 months ago.

You're correct that the firewall is included with your computer and it does not have any time limit on it.

The popup that you saw was actually a scam popup and it was not an actual legit popup.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
this sounds like for $ 149.00 for 5 years or 1 year for $80.00 I can give you what you need .
Expert:  Josh replied 4 months ago.

Any offer from that person/company is a scam -- Please do not pay them and do not allow them access to your computer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no thank you I have trusted enough for one day.
Expert:  Josh replied 4 months ago.

The company that you spoke with before is a scam company and they are not associated with Microsoft. The popup that you saw was "scareware" where it tricks a user into thinking they are infected with a virus when they are really not.