Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My airport base station failed and I'm trying to make a

Customer Question

my airport base station failed and I'm trying to make a direct ethernet connection work but I can't. I worked out the configurations a couple months ago, but can't remember what I did and the saved configurations aren't working now.
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: mac air
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm using a thunderbolt ethernet adapter, cabled directly into the modem
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm working off my phone's wifi right now. so a little tenuous
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Try this. Start by turning unplugging your modem from power and leaving it off.

Then, Shut down the Mac. Then, press and hold the Option, Command ( apple key ) P and R

Hold down those keys and keep holding them and start the mac. It should make the startup chime sound twice, then release those keys and it should attempt to startup.

Now, when it starts up fully. Plug your modem back in.

It should make an ethernet connection now, but let me know if you get stuck or if this doesnt work.

Please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating to show I was able to assist you, without a 5 star rating submitted I am unpaid and unaccredited for my time and expertise.

Thank you,
Dustin S. Sr. Technician and Former Network Switching Systems Operator . Maintainer 31F1P

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has restarted in some sort of diagnostic mode
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I see I missed the option key. Re-tried as instructed. It made no difference.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Can you try to follow through these full steps next..

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6672

If you get stuck at any point, let me know. But those steps should solve the issue.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that link is a 404
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Maybe, your mac installed a broken ethernet update from last year, and you never notice it because you have been running wifi.

Can you go over the steps on this page, follow along and see if you have the bad kext installed.

http://www.macworld.com/article/3039258/macs/apple-issues-a-fix-for-ethernet-diabled-by-a-recent-os-x-update.html

Thank you for your response,