Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a Gateway desk computer with Windows 10. The computer

I have a Gateway desk computer with Windows 10. The computer says that "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart". Then it restarts displaying "Preparing Automatic Repair" and then "Diagonzing your PC". Then it give me a screen that says - Automatic Repair, "Your PC did not start correctly - Press "Restart" to restart your PC......etc" and gives me two buttons "Restart" and "Advanced Options".I tried "Restart" and that doesn't work.
I tried "Advanced Options" and that takes me to a screen with three buttons: "Continue", "Troubleshoot", and "Turn off your PC". Continue just tries to start Windows again and that doesn't work. "Turn off you PC" - only turns off your PC, and "Troubleshoot".Using "Troubleshoot" - Goes to another window with two buttons: "Reset this PC" - lets you choose to keep or remove your files and then reinstalls Windows. Or "Advanced Options".I haven't tried "Reset this PC".I have tried "Advanced Options""Advance Options" has six buttons: "System Restore", "System Image Recovery", "Startup Repair", "Command Prompt", "Startup Settings", "Go back to the previous build".I tried System Restore. I get five items that appear - the first two are "Windows Update" - "Critical Update" on May 10 and May 5. The next one is "Installed Boingo Wi-Finder" - "Install" and the next two are "Automatic Restore Point" - "System".I have tried all five. The next screen that I get is "Confirm disks to restore" and there is a yellow caution icon with "you must always restore the rive that contains Windows. Restoring other drives is optional". There is a list with only "Local Disk (C:) (System) and "you must enable system protection on this drive". And the "Next" button is inactive and I can't go any further.Do you have any ideas?

HI there and welcome

It appears it is having issues communicating with the hard disk.

Choose command prompt

Can you get to a screen where you can type?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have "Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.14393]
and the prompt x:\windows\system32>

ok, now type in

sfc /scannow

press enter

It will start a scan

Tell me when it has completed the scan please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The scan completed.It says "Beginning verification phase of system scan." "Verification 100% complete" "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation" and then the prompt again.

ok, now type in

chkdsk /r

press enter

What does it then say?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
34;The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it si write protected"

ok, does it as you to run it on a restart?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Does it what?

Does the message ask you to run the scan on restart of the computer?

It would say

the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. It doesn't say that. It just says "Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected"

ok, restart the computer and tell me what now happens please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The computer says that "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart". Then it restarts displaying "Preparing Automatic Repair" and then "Diagonzing your PC". Then it give me a screen that says - Automatic Repair,"Your PC did not start correctly - Press "Restart" to restart your PC......etc" and gives me two buttons "Restart" and "Advanced Options".

ok, now we need to do a reset, go into Advance Options, Troubleshoot, then choose Reset My PC

Choose the option to keep your files (programs you will need to install again).

Let the reset complete and tell me what then happens please

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What does this do? What will I lose?

Your programs, these will need to be installed again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yikes. How come the restore option didn't work?

Very likely your harddrive or Sata port has failed, but we will only know this once we have ruled everything else out.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a Sabrent adapter for SATA drives - does that help us?

No, that is something else

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I get a message "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made"

ok, It is either the motherboard (Sata ports on it) or the hard drive that has faulted, this now confirms it else no matter the software issue, the reset would have completed.

You will need to return the computer so both the motherboard and hard drive can be tested to see which one has faulted.

If it is the motherboard, your data will not be touched, else if the hard drive has faulted, then the data will be lost on it sorry.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay. Thank you. I was hoping for a simple solution. Since the computer is beyond its warranty, I suppose I can take it to a local computer repair shop?

yes, and they can test the components to know which has faulted.

If the motherboard needs replacing, then no data is list at all and it will be just like it was once the replacement is made.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you Richard!

you're welcome!

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Another question: Can I take out the hard drive and try to read it with the adapter I have and another computer?

with a Sata adapter yes you can

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will do that.

thanks.

Let me know if you need anything else and please remember the service rating

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried to read the drive using the Sabrent adaptor but I got the following message
"E:\ is not accessible"
"The volume does not contain a recognized file system Please make sure all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted"
Does this mean the hard drive is bad? Or do I need some "required file system drivers"?

bad hard drive, this is the fault and why the computer will not start.

You will need to replace the drive sorry

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are there any drive recovery services that I can try to use?

No, you can send it into this company and they can try to get anything recoverable on it.

http://www.datarecovery.net/us/data-recovery-usa.aspx

They would dissasemble it and use a hardware scanner on it to get as much data from it as possible and then send the data back on a disk (the hard drive itself will not work)

But get a pricing first as it can be quite expensive.