Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  25 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

I am receiving the following message: StartRep.exe

Customer Question

I am receiving the following message: StartRep.exe Application Error The instruction at Oxfbf1cee8 referenced memory at oxooooooooo. The memory could not be read.
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: HP
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Microsoft did an update on Thursday
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I tried to back up and tried to do a resotre but always get that same error message
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be helping you with your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and respond.

Are you able to boot the computer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when I try to reboot it return always to this message

What version of Windows is on the computer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Windows 7

The reason for the error is a failing hard drive. The error is usually related to the boot sector being corrupt. But you may be able to repair it.

To get to the point where you can issue commands to fix it, please do the following:

1. Restart the computer.
  2. After the start-up message appears, press the F8 key. ...
  3. Choose the option Repair Your Computer. ...
  4. Click the Next button. ...
  5. Choose your username. ...
  6. Type your password ***** click OK. ...
  7. Choose the option Command Prompt.

Once you are there, let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm at work and will try later this evening

Ok... I will give you some commands to try once you are there.

Here are the commands I would run to attempt the repair. Each one starts with bootrec.exe then the "/"

The Bootrec.exe tool supports the following options. Use the option that's appropriate for your situation.

/FixMbr

This option writes a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. It does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove nonstandard code from the MBR.

/FixBoot

This option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that's compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:

• The boot sector was replaced with a nonstandard Windows Vista or Windows 7 boot sector.
  • The boot sector is damaged.
  • An earlier Windows operating system was installed after Windows Vista or Windows 7 was installed. In this situation, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).

/ScanOs

This option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. It also displays the entries that are currently not in the BCD store. Use this option when there are Windows Vista or Windows 7 installations that the Boot Manager menu does not list.

/RebuildBcd

This option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, it lets you select the installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when you must completely rebuild the BCD store.