Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

My computer with Win 10 will not respond to the p/w to let

Customer Question

My computer with Win 10 will not respond to the p/w to let me in. It is the same p/w I use on my desktop 2,000 miles away and is one that I have used for several years.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Dell dimension 1525 abt 8-10 years old.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I don't know. Don't use it frequently. Used it briefly about a month ago.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jay D replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such troubles and I will try my best to help you. I'm a computer business owner based in Scotland - UK. I have over 10 years experience in computing and a Bsc Bachelors Degree in Computer Science.

I will try and assist you, please give me a few moments to go over the question and I will look into this for you. Please be aware that we are very busy and you may have to wait for a response, replies to you are not always instant. We appreciate your patience.

Expert:  Jay D replied 4 months ago.

Can I ask do you login using a microsoft account or a standard one?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I boot up and the Windows 10 screen opens showing time and date with a place to type in a p/w of my choice when I setup win10.
Expert:  Jay D replied 4 months ago.

I am not sure i follow what you mean, the only time you have the opportunity to set a password ***** your choice is when you do a reinstall of windows. When you boot it up and it asks for the password ***** have to enter an existing password, not one of your choice.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am communicating w/you via my I-pad
Expert:  Jay D replied 4 months ago.

okay that's fine but i need to clarify what you meant earlier - the only time you have the opportunity to set a password ***** your choice is when you do a reinstall of windows. When you boot it up and it asks for the password ***** have to enter an existing password, not one of your choice.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Jay D replied 4 months ago.

okay so when you go to log in do you see an email address for a microsoft account or just a username?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just a user name
Expert:  Jay D replied 4 months ago.

okay and is there anything on the compute that you couldn't afford to lose?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Right now there is. I will wait till I get back home and deal wit by removing it and getting it backed on on my desktop.
Expert:  Jay D replied 4 months ago.

okay get back to me please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Jay D replied 4 months ago.

no problem