John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCP, RHCE
50152684

I received a pop up on my computer that says I may have a

Customer Question

I received a pop up on my computer that says I may have a virus or trojan horse, says not to try to fix the problem myself. says to call 1-***-***-****, is this one of your numbers or a scam?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I have an asus, running windows xp
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is***** will be assisting you today.

This is a scam please do not call or give them access to your computer.You can close that message or restart the computer to get out that message.

Microsoft wont call you on any virus or system issues.

This type of scamming works in 2 ways

1. Either gain access to your PC then collect the login details by installing key loggers etc.

2. Scam call is used to sell some applications and services .I know you are confused no worries I will explain. What the scammer is trying is to make you believe is that your PC have some kind of serious errors and security threats. Once they had convinced you he will ask you to open a specific program and so that he can access the PC. Once he have access to your PC he will run some applications that shows a lot of fake errors and security threats in your PC. Then will tell you pay for the application so that he can fix the issues. To be honest applications like these will do more harm than good and sometimes system ends up crashing.

Please do not provide access to your PC unless the tech is from a company you contacted also make sure that company you contacted is genuine by checking multiple reviews.

Do not give any kind of your personal or bank details to the person who contacted you.

Collect as much details from the person who contacted you like phone number to contact those, Name of the company and the person who contacted you, office address etc. Most likely they won’t provide much details.You can report it to Microsoft using this link: - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/reportascam/

To make sure your PC is clean and secure i suggest you get malwarebytes antimalware from this link http://www.malwarebytes.org/ download and install it then update it and run a full system scan. This won’t work as a real time malware protector unless you purchase it so if you are planning to use its free version. You need to update it and run the scan once or twice in a month to make sure the system is clean.
I hope you are clear now if not please let me know.

If you do not have any further questions please rate me positively using the rating options (stars) on the top of this page, select the rating and click on submit. Have a Great God Blessed Day. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

Sincerely,