Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

The screen is black. The power button shows it is getting

Customer Question

The screen is black. The power button shows it is getting power, but the screen stays black.
JA: What's the make and model of your machine? And how long has the screen been an issue?
Customer: Gateway NV series. Model MS 2285
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes there was a auto prompt yesterday and I let it run. It started about 20 minutes later. I used it last night and now it is black screen today
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure. I don't know what to ask.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Did your display just go out or was it gradual?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Dan,
My screen just opened up black yesterday with no sign of deteriorating earlier. The day before my screen showed a message that updates were in process and not to shut down my computer. I have the ok to proceed. It did an auto reboot about 25 minutes later and I used the computer for an hour or two that evening. It was the next day when I tried to open it up that the screen was black.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How would you connect to it if I cannot type anything on it?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dan are you there or should I schedule another time to try and work this out?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Do you by chance have another monitor you can connect to check the video processor?

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Let me know if you are able to connect another monitor and the results please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I thought I responded but no I do not have another monitor unless I could use an iPhone or iPad?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you done? You don't have any recommendations if I do not have another monitor to connect to the laptop? Is it possible to connect an iPad? If so I need to know how to do it.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

One thing you can try is place a flashlight right on the screen and see if you can see any of your desktop icons. If you can, then that means your backlight has failed and will need to be replaced. Let me know please what you find.