Jay D
Jay D, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Business Owner at LCS
46389206

Oh nothing, it's doing fine. However I've been searching on

Oh nothing, it's doing fine. However I've been searching on line for compatible RAM upgrades. I just purchased a Y700-15ACZ / MTM 80NY model Idedapad laptop with the AMD package. I was wondering what what compatible upgrade I can do to increase my RAM speed and capacity. Installed on the machine are a 4GB and an 8GB DDR3L 1600MHZ / PC3L12800 SDRAM sticks for a total of 12GB. I know the max capacity is 16GB but was wondering about increasing the speed better. Thank you.
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: Not too much, but I'm learning.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No, these are still the factory installations.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, everything else is good. Thank you.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such troubles and I will try my best to help you. I'm a computer business owner based in Scotland - UK. I have over 10 years experience in computing and a Bsc Bachelors Degree in Computer Science.

I will try and assist you, please give me a few moments to go over the question and I will look into this for you.

Please be aware that we are very busy and you may have to wait for a response, replies to you are not always instant. We appreciate your patience.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Very good, thank you.

you can't go higher than the speed of the RAM that is currently installed, whatever the system bus speed is for the laptop is the max speed of ram you can use. If you put in higher speed ram is would be accepted but run at the slower speed. like a Ferrari can't show its potential in 30 mph zone.

all you can do is remove the 4GB ram stick and replace it with an 8 GB to give you the total RAM of 16GB.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That's what I thought. If it were the Intel version then I could upgrade it further. OK Jay, thank you very much!Dave

thanks and take care. Jay