John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCP, RHCE
50152684

I wanted to sell my laptop DELL INSPIRON N4010 but wanted to

Customer Question

I wanted to sell my laptop DELL INSPIRON N4010 but wanted to clean everything out of the laptop and reformat it back to manufacture settings?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Dell? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Dell Inspiron N4010 I3 windows 7
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: intel core i3
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no updates had microsoft tech guys and they gave me an ungenuine windows 7
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer which is an independent Q&A and Tech support providing site. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you.Could you please provide the following.

Are you still able to login to windows 7 and use the computer also did you replace the hard driver after you purchased the laptop?

Thank you

Note: - You can ignore the secure remote assistance/premium service offer shows in this page. It’s a site generated pop up, you can ignore it by closing (x) that pop up message.

Please use the reply box below to reply to me.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am still able to log in and I did not replace the hard driver
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the detail.

This laptop came with windows 7 am i correct also are you currently chatting to me from the same computer or from another ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I saved all of my documents on a external hard drive already and just ready to start the process of cleaning everything out and setting it back to manufacture settings.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am chatting from another computer
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Good.

Click on start then all programs and look for dell recovery in it.

Let me know if you see it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it came with windows 7 but somehow Microsoft guys gave me something fake.
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Not sure how microsoft gave you fake windows 7 but if your computer doesn't have a recovery image of windows 7 then restoring to factory settings wont work unless you get the recovery disc from dell.Before going to such steps lets try to do the recovery process from the computers hidden recovery partition so please try the above and let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no dell recovery
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Is there anything that says Dell or Recovery in all programs?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
backup and restore, create system prepare disk, windows remote assistance....all I see
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Please open back and restore and let me know the options it shows.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
now I see control panel
all control panel items-click
Recovery-
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it says-
troubleshoot a problem
uninstall a program
restore your filesor Open system Restore
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Select restore your files and let me know the options in it,if possible take a picture of those options and send it to me using the add files option in the reply box.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

What are the options showing in restore your files shows ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
can't seem to get it
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

If you can't get the picture its OK.Let me know the options showing in restore your files

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
its says system restore can resolve many system problems, and tai the best recovery methods to try first. For serious problems , use the advance recovery methods.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
then there is a tab bark to click [Open system Restore]
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

It seems to be showing windows system restore not the one we are looking for,May I remote access to your PC and check the issue you are facing directly. It’s secure and also you can see what all I am doing in the PC. Let me know so that I can give you the link to do that.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
undo recent system changes, but leaves files such as documents, pictures, and music unchanged. This might remove recently-installed programs and drivers.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
just a moment
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Sure.

let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
you can go ahead now. I'm logged onto the computer
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

To do remote support please click on this link http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=ac5e8029-315f-4244-a86e-b42d1065c943 that will open remote desktop session page in that page click on I Agree, then you will get Elisnore Screen Connect Client download and run it. If it asks for User Account Control click on Yes that will allow me to connect once I am connected to your PC I will post a message using the remote chat screen. If you have any trouble connecting please let me know. Do not close this Chat/Q&A page.

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Are you back on the other computer now ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok im on my new computer
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Good now i am exiting from the dell computer and will continue using this chat page.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
can we log off of the other one
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thanks
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

I am out of that computer now.

Do the following on that dell computer

1.Restart the dell computer.

2. When the Dell logo appears, press F8 key several times to access the Advanced Boot Options window.

NOTE: If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft Windows desktop; then, shut down your computer and try again.

3. Select Repair Your Computer. The System Recovery Options window appears.

Let me know if you are getting that system recovery options window.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
its on now
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
system repair recovery is on
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

In that what all options are there?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
choose a recovery tool1. startup Repair
2.system restore
3. system image recovery
4. windows memory diagnostic
5.command prompt
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Select system image recovery and continue and let me know the next options it shows

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
its says.....
windows cannot find a system image on this computer.Attach the backup hard disk or insert the final DVD from a backup set and click retry. Alternatively, close the dialog from more options.
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Not the one we needed please go back to choose a recovery tool and then select system restore and let me know the options in it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
its restoring now
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

You mean you selected to restore to factory settings?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think so?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
restore your computer using a system image you created earlier
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Is it showing that message now?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
everything is still the same.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hmm.....I think I am tired already and want to continue again tomorrow?
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

One moment lets try one more option that is all we can do without a recovery disc.

Restart again and go to recovery tool window and then select start-up repair

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Once you are in the start-up repair options let me know what all options does it show?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
can we do tomorrow again. Im sorry its pass my bed time 10:51pm.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
my brain is already unbooting.
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

One moment please

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

I can understand.You can do that tomorrow when you are free.If you get a factory/manufacturer restore option please select and continue with the process.

If that also fails then you need a windows 7 installation disc or a recovery disc.

You can get the recovery disc from dell by using this link : - http://www.dell.com/support/incidents-online/in/en/indhs1/contactus/Dynamic

They will ship you the recovery disc and you can use that disc to do factory restore.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
how would I contact you again tomorrow to continue?
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

You can bookmark this page or use the email from justanswer to get back to this page.

Sometimes i wont be online at the same time you reply,if that is the case then i will get back to you as soon as possible.

The only options left are the above mentioned please try it when you are free.

Is there anything else you like to know?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thats it! thanks I appreciate it.
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

You are welcome.

Please rate me using the rating options (stars) on the top of this page, select the rating and click on submit. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john/

Sincerely,