How can I keep my kids from accessing the internet. Every

time I use parental controls...
How can I keep my kids from accessing the internet. Every time I use parental controls on my Linksys they hack it or reset the router. Is there any way I can do it on my PC so they can not circumvent it ?
1/8/2017
Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.
Let me know when you could be online so that we can get started to fix this.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
now :)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry I need to walk away. Please give me written instructions

you can change the router security to wpa2 and let the router generate a new password ***** you can note that down and use it when its required, no one can hack into WPA2 security set on the router.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
wonderful... how do I do that
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also once I do it then will all my parental controls stay enforced ? because they need a password ***** access the internet . they would get on then shut off the parental controls
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will doing that prevent hacking just by resetting the router to default?

just update the router password ***** WPA2 and thats it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, so what happens if they hit the reset button on the router?

Reset button will reset every settings in that case and there is no other way one can lock the router.

IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

It looks like the previous Expert is not available any more.
Please tell me if you still require assistance with the parental controls problem? If yes, let me know if you and your kids only use one computer to access the Internet, or several?

Type your reply below.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
several
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
or is the a way I can have my router set to shut off all internet access during a specific time block? kids these days seem to learn how to circumvent everything
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
as you can see from the previous conversation I was given instructions that could all be undone by resetting the router

Hello again! Sorry for the delay in response.

If you and your kids use computers to access the Internet, there is a free program you can install that can completely control the Internet access - which sites to permit, and which to block; when to allow Internet access, and when to block it; etc.

Let me know if your kids only use computers to access the Internet, or they use phones and tablets as well?

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They use phones, iPads and laptops

Oh, I see. A program installed on a computer can only control Internet access on that computer. If you want to control the Internet access on multiple devices, you will need to do it directly on the router; however, resetting the router to factory defaults will undo any restrictions you have made. To avoid that, you can change the default password ***** accessing the router's web-based configuration page, so that your kids cannot undo the changes or reset the router to factory settings from there, but you may also need to place the router to some other place, perhaps in your room, since your kids can just go to the router and reset the router settings to factory defaults by using the reset button located on the router.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. How do I do this...change the default password ***** accessing the router's web-based configuration page

Let me know the make and model of your router and I will provide the instructions for you.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry for the delay . It is a Linksys WRT1900AC

Hello again!

Here are the instructions on how to change the default router password:

1. Open a web browser and go to this address:

http://192.168.1.1

If that doesn't open anything, go to this one instead:

http://www.linksyssmartwifi.com

2. You will be presented with the router's web-based configuration page, asking you to sign in. Type admin as both User name and Password. If that doesn't sign you in, type admin as User name and password as Password

3. When signed in, you can view and change the router settings. To change the default password ***** accessing the router, click on Connectivity located under the Router Settings section on the left. The icon looks like two screws

4. When the Connectivity page opens, click on Edit for "Router Password"

5. Now type a new password ***** will be used for accessing the router

6. When done, click OK to save the changes and that's it

Now only you can access the router and change the settings.

Let me know if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Hello again!

If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks,

thank you, ***** ***** already done all that. I guess my only answer is to lock it in a box.
If I reset all my passwords don't they need a password ***** access the WiFi? I need to give them access for homework exedra without them being able to hack into it and turn off the parental controls

Hello again!

The Router Password ***** ***** the same as the WiFi password. WiFi password ***** ***** to protect a WiFi network so that only those with a correct password ***** connect to it and access the Internet. Router password, on the other hand, is used to protect the router from changing the settings, for example, from disabling the parental controls. So, make sure to change the default router password ***** I described, so your kids cannot access the router once connected to the WiFi network.

I did that and they still hacked it !!! somehow going back in pc history. If I do it again and give them the password ***** the wifi you are telling me they wont be able to change my settings but they get changed
I thought these pictures might help
security.JPGsecurity.JPGsecurity b.JPGsecurit...JPGsecurity c JPG.JPGsecurit...JPGsecurity d JPG.JPGsecurit...JPGsecurity e JPG.JPGsecurit...JPGsecurity f JPG.JPGsecurit...JPG

Hello again!

May I know what you mean by "they hacked it"? What settings have been changed?

The parental control will still be on but the time blocks well have been changed to always allow. The same with internet access I will block out midnight to 5 a.m. then when I looked at it again the next time those blocks are gone. If I reset the WiFi passwords (not the router password) don't I still have to give it to them in order for them to access the WiFi

As I mentioned, knowing the WiFi password ***** only allow access to the wireless network (Internet), but the parental controls will still apply. The only way to change the parental control settings or other router settings is to know the current router password. I already described how to change the default router password. If you think your kids changed the parental control settings, that would mean one of these two things:

1. they guessed the current router password *****'ve set

2. they reset the router to factory settings by using the RESET button located on the back of the router

To see if they reset the router to factory defaults, you can go to the router page (http://192.168.1.1/ or http://www.linksyssmartwifi.com/) and check if you can sign in with the default router password ***** with the one you have set.

IT Miro, Computer Scientist
IT Miro, Computer Scientist