Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

Received phone call "This is an emergency. My Microsoft

Customer Question

received phone call "This is an emergency. My Microsoft license has expired. I was given an(###) ###-####number to call. It was a recording and no company name was given. I bought my pc and had installation at micro center. Plus support at the desk. Is this legit or a rip off.?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running? What confuses you?
Customer: Had to move a bit to get to model #. It is Dell OCNE I am operating windows 7 professional. I purchased it refurbished there. I thought I purchased Microsoft not needing renewal.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Last fall at the counter it was checked and reinstalled security. That is all/
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. That was certainly a fake phone call. Please do not follow the instructions in that phone call message. It is a scam in order to get your money and/or your information in order to do frauds. No legitimate support company would ever call you automatically for any reason. When you have a computer issue, you would contact a support company yourself first. Please always ignore any phone call or email message or popup message that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

- Also, please click on the Microsoft website below for full details about this kind of scams:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

- Do you have any further question? And/or do you need help with any computer question / issue today?

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,